Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.4ltr Help

Hey I have a missfire on cyl 4 on my 1997 350 Clubwagon with the 5.4. What cylinderr is #4 on this motor(I am thinking passenger rear) it has a crack in the casing and the heater hose is leaking on it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey I have a missfire on cyl 4 on my 1997 350 Clubwagon with the 5.4. What cylinderr is #4 on this motor(I am thinking passenger rear) it has a crack in the casing and the heater hose is leaking on it.
Yep, you're right! #4 is right under the heater hose. We had a lot of those do that. Put a worm style clamp on it.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
not sure about the e series but on our trucks if you look at the motor from the fan 1,2,3 and 4 on on the left and 5,6,7 and 8 are on your right. from the front of the motor back....

kinda like this if it works...

Fan

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
HAHA for once Vince's dial up beat my 10 meg! LOL

help

Ok now here is the other problem, the hard line that goes into the intake from the heater hose has got a pin hole in it thats why it is leaking. Can you swap that tube out? it looks like it is pressed into the intake. Any ideas how to fix this?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Is it the one that goes under the intake?

help

I looked for those clamps around here and nobody has ever seen them before. I put a hose clamp on it with a piece of hose but it still leaks.
The tube is the one that comes out of the intake on the top and turns 90* to attach to the heater nose right over top of the #4 COP, it looks to be pressed into the intake. Any other ideas?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm not sure about the one that expeditionman posted... But this is a worm-style clamp, and they're one of the most commonly used hose clamps:

620ST-150.jpg

clamps-worm-gear.jpg

help

Thats what I have on it now with a peice of heater hose, still leaking.......frustration.....I dont want to replace the coil until the leak is cured so it does no fry another coil.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I'll check out the motor tonight...gotta put a new fuse block in for the amp. so I'll get a better look at it and give you my idea...

If you can get to it you could work the tube out with a pair of vise grips and then tap it for use of a 1/8" standard pipe nipple then install the hose. I've done similar several times before on FE engines and replaced the fugly rubber heater hoses with 3/8" hard copper and never found a need for more heat than they would provide.

rambler

New Shoes......
check out my post on leaking behind the water pump, I posted some pics if its that pipe that goes under the intake,, I got the Ford part numbers if you need it..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
I've got the fastest one finger hunt and peck typing skills in the land!

oeh you type like that too? haha my dad too.. should see him write an paper on the computer took about an hour

Ford Truck Articles