Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.0 conversion

jager420

gotta love an old ford
how hard would it be to convert the frankenford from its blown 4.9 to a rebuilt 5.0 , im not exactly asking for a step by step list but what are some problem i ma run into, fuel lines, tranny hook up, ect.?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
trans will hook straight up, will need a computer for 5.0 and manual trans, also need new frame mounts and all accessories for the 5.0 and im sure i could keep coming up with stuff..

jager420

gotta love an old ford
the tranny needs a computer? im sorry for the noob questions this is my first rebuild, my buddy is rebuilding his 5.0 and is gonna sell it to me, so itll have everything it needs , the engine mounts for the 4.9 appear to be the same except for rubber bushings, if i were to take them off and have the engine bolts go through the frame would that be ok. also how much would a tranny computer run?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It's easier to just find a computer from a truck that had the right engine/transmission combo. The computer will throw codes all day long if it's looking for an electronic controlled auto and there's a manual.

Ryan

jager420

gotta love an old ford
that makes sense, i know the 5.0 isnt the best engine out there so would it be worth all the trouble of swapping out the 4.9 for the 5.0 or should i just rebuild the 4.9 to eliminate the need to go out and find all the parts i need for the 5.0?

jager420

gotta love an old ford
i just want a decent engine im not going to be doing any heavy hauling. maybe a boat and trailer for the summer. i plan on keeping the manual transmission, maybe i can just rebuild the 4.9 and try to get the maximum hp. out of it with a super charger or something along them lines, cant i also bore out the pistons to upgrade it or am i completely wrong lol

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
No prob. Any questions ask away I did it myself.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
google for tranny ID so you can see the different oilpans that they use..

or simply by decoding your vin number

jager420

gotta love an old ford
ill deffiantly look into that, i was talking to my buddy and im gonna start gutting the 4.9 and hopefully take it out in the next complete days then we're gonna drop the 5.0 in it, funny thing is that engine is out of a 1990 f150 i sold him a few months back before i got the frankenford, hes upgrading to a 350, so hes selling me the 5.0 for 300, but yeah thatll be my project for the next few days, ill have to take some pics and post em.

jager420

gotta love an old ford
dude i gotta say i was going through the project cobra thread and man am i jealous, that truck is so sick, you should deffiantly come up to massachusetts and help me make the frankenford that sick. kudos man on a nasty build, wish i had that kinda cash to drop into her

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts