Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 Trouble

MikeStoke

Army Firefighter
:headbang: Hi all, I am having problems with my 4 x 4 in the automatic setting. When I throw the switch sometimes it will engage and sometimes it wont. I read somewhere if your having problems with a vacuum leak to throw your heater on and engage your 4 x 4 and if it switches to defrost that you have a leak. My question is how do you know if it is my front axle seals or the vacuum pump? I am getting a light on the dash but it is not engaging in less I get out and throw the hubs into manual position. Any help is greatly appreciated. The dealer wants around $100.00 to test it. But you all know how tight $$$ is this time of the year!! Thanks in advance.....Mike

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Play with your heater/ac on different settings while loading up the engine on a steep hill. Mine often changes from Vent to Floor or Defrost when I bog the engine on a hill. If yours does the same then it's your vacuum pump. If you're not having vacuum problems anywhere else then the problem is most likely at the hubs.

EDIT: Crap Brad just called me and made me realize. Engine load ain't gonna do crap with a vacuum pump :rofl2: Scratch what I said above-- that test won't work on a diesel. But basically if your vac pump isn't working then you shouldn't have heater controls at all. I'm thinking your problem is near the hubs (either the seals or the lines).

Last edited:

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
These trucks are bad about the vaccum lines going to the hubs cracking. I actually need to trouble shoot mine. it is probably something simple like a vaccume line. i have seen posts about how you can check it with a hand vaccum pump to help trouble shoot it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts