Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 frame

Whats the wheelbase of the 65?

Just find a factory 4x4 and mount the 65 body parts in it

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member
funny thing that you posted this...I just looked into a long wheelbase truck , installing a 65 on a 78 and while it was only inches off for the over all wheelbase ..the placement w/in the center of the wheel openings was off along w/ the width...not saying it can't be done, a friend put a 79 on a 72 4x4 chassis w/ some fabbingI believe the frame widths are also different so some modifying will also be necessary there also..

hey thanks lostinfords the information was much appreciated. my dad and i didnt know if everything was the same but we speculated it was. knowing that they aint now our whole game plan has changed. the reason we wanted a 77-79 frame was because of the steering box, the fact that it is a much better system than the earlier fords had. my dad and i aint much on fabbin up stuff so we will probably just put it on another 65 frame or keep it 2wd.

lostinfords

the guy who I spoke w/ is doing up a 65 2wd and is using the front suspension and brake system...for the powwer disc brake upgrade from a 78/79...also said that the steering boxes also can be fitted to the 65???? but you had to use the newer column, might be an option. ..although these years aren't my area of expertise it might be something worth doing a little more research on ...the 65 w/ the better newer steering and braking system would be sweet..good luck

Its kinda funny I found this post. I'm currently going to convert a Short Bed 65 Ford 4x2 to a 4x4. We are going to place a 79 Ford front end under my 65 frame. Ive never done this before, but the guy that helps us with our race trucks, has done this before. We do mud racing in kentucky and ive always wanted to use this truck. I'll post some pictures and keep everyone updated on it.

Fellro

Staff member
If you were in the area here, there is a 65 4x4 3/4t on ebay, buy it now for $375.

lostinfords

A guy who lives near me bought this...already had the 4wd conversion or upgrade done, along w/ the 78/79 steering upgrade, badged as a f100, but has 8 lugs, not taking anything away from it ..it is truly a work of art that the owner spared no expense w/ the restore
10dwrjl.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
pretty truck... im still surprised those old trucks had the gas tanks literally behind the seats inside the cab...

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
A guy who lives near me bought this...already had the 4wd conversion or upgrade done, along w/ the 78/79 steering upgrade, badged as a f100, but has 8 lugs, not taking anything away from it ..it is truly a work of art that the owner spared no expense w/ the restore
10dwrjl.jpg

That IS a nice truck. It isn't overdone, either.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Why it aint too likely to blow up my 72s the same way.

nahh i look at it more from the fumes aspect... when its outside anything that leaked outta the tank has someplace to go... but with them inside the cab they only had the cab to go into...

granted i know that rarely ever happens..but is just weird to me for it to be in there...

do got a question on that though... whered they put the fuel level sensors and the "fuel outlets" on those tanks? that was the one thing i never thought to look at on the one the kid in my class brought to school...

Fellro

Staff member
Fuel sender is centered in the tank toward the top, and the fuel draw is in the same place. The only way you would ever have a leak is if it were to rust from the inside.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yep what he said it works good if ya ever have to filter your fuelk the manual way just pull the line off the fuel pump and let it run into a rag in a funnel thats on a gas can then when the cans full either pinch off the hose or put it back on the pump.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
did they still have rubber seals/gaskets around where the senders/fuel pickups like they do with the exterior ones?? wouldnt need the tank to rust through if the seals went bad...

Fellro

Staff member
Another thing to think about is that dry rot and weathering is what causes the rubber seals to fail Not as likely to be an issue inside the cab, but yes, they use a regular gasket and screws to hole the sender in, and the fuel lines are soldered in with a flare fit to connect. Been a little while since I had to look at one, don't have any more of them around.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Theres a cork gasket for the sendin unit and the pickup is just a tube that connects to the top of the tank with a nut.

Another thing to think about is that dry rot and weathering is what causes the rubber seals to fail Not as likely to be an issue inside the cab, but yes, they use a regular gasket and screws to hole the sender in, and the fuel lines are soldered in with a flare fit to connect. Been a little while since I had to look at one, don't have any more of them around.

ahh... see thats why i ask.. to learn things like that...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts