Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4wd Guru question?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
figured that was the gears inside binding.. as the wheel literally jerks to straighten out.. Had it fully locked in the 4wd-hi today to get to work.. (not happy about having to drive it when having issues but weathers not permissible atm). was howling most the time.. i hate when things make noise... what sucks is i can hear it with the windows up.. but put the windows down and i cant...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My plow truck ran like that for years.
Just be easy with it, and fix it as soon as the weather breaks. Even broken, that rear is pretty tough

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
One thing keep in mind Sparky, NEVER let it run locked in on dry pavement.
it's easy to push the stick back in and out, and don't hurt a thing.
There needs to be a certain amount of slip in there when it's locked in, or you will break the drivetrain.

Even on my shift on the fly, I kick them in and out as the road conditions require

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
My plow truck ran like that for years.
Just be easy with it, and fix it as soon as the weather breaks. Even broken, that rear is pretty tough

rear better be tough.. lol it was completely rebuilt 2 yrs ago.. RP gears beat the crap outta each other when the pinon gear's bearing went bad.. made the ring gear toothless which the pieces from it found their way inside the differential and tore up the spider gears as well.. glad warranty paid for that one as it would have been $3200.. i only had to pay $150.. lol Tech described the chaos inside as if someone stuck a grenade in there and set it off..

One thing keep in mind Sparky, NEVER let it run locked in on dry pavement.
it's easy to push the stick back in and out, and don't hurt a thing.
There needs to be a certain amount of slip in there when it's locked in, or you will break the drivetrain.

Even on my shift on the fly, I kick them in and out as the road conditions require

most our roads are 1in thick sheets of ice atm... manual for the truck says to be at a dead stop and in N to shift between settings with the floor shifter... tried it once in park.. gears in the transfer case just grinded... dont know why it was like that in Park when it should just be like neutral.

had to break the truck loose this morning too... not only were the brakes frozen.. but so were the tires to the ground...

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Never knew of a stick case having to be stuck in neutral to switch between 2 and 4hi.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
apparently this one does.. i thought it was weird it made grindy noises while it was in park.. tried in R & D too same thing.. had to get the book out the first time to find out why i couldnt get it to go.. it said to do it with the tranny in Neutral.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
its starting to hum a little louder now... its starting to remind me of how the rear diff sounded when the pinion bearing went... didnt really feel any vibration on the way home.. (not sure if thats a good or bad thing at this point...) hubs were locked and had 4wd locked in.. Hum would get a little louder every time i went to slow down... thought maybe the pumpkin leaked and pulled the fill plug from the hole... seems to still be "full" although none ran out.. cover felt warm but the gear oil seemed really runny... (not use to that.. usually theyre thicker closer to like homey or something... ) took my pry bar and tried to wiggle the ujoints on the end.. they didnt budge at all.. but the truck was sitting on the ground still and everything still locked together..

roads were still pretty sick... truck slid around a few times...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
All my 4x4 trucks were in and out 2h to 4h easy pzy. never had to do N or P unless going to L 4x4.

Huston we gots us a transfer case problem.

Check the oil in the transfer case. should be level at the hole just like the rear. should be ATF.

i've been using Mercon 5 here lately in all mine.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Was the whine in letting off? going away when you power back up?
go away wwhen in 2 high?
Not power steering pump?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
All my 4x4 trucks were in and out 2h to 4h easy pzy. never had to do N or P unless going to L 4x4.

Huston we gots us a transfer case problem.

Check the oil in the transfer case. should be level at the hole just like the rear. should be ATF.

i've been using Mercon 5 here lately in all mine.

maybe that had been the problem.. cuz id had the T-case in N when i was trying to get it back up to 2wd that day..

didnt look at the transfer case but its been dry everytime ive been under the truck.. (which as you know if frequent)... when i bought the truck fluid change was the first thing i did on it.. replaced it with RP ATF. would think it was t-case itd be doing it in 2wd as well..

Was the whine in letting off? going away when you power back up?
go away wwhen in 2 high?
Not power steering pump?

was louder letting off and would build like a turbine whine speeding up.. just not as loud.. i was stuck going 25-35 all the way home.. people were driving like pansies..

dont think its the powersteering as it would be changing with engine RPM and is not... ntm not having problems turning the wheel...

Fellro

Staff member
Is it kind of a buzzing type whine? Since it is speed related, but not rpm related, leads me to think more along the lines of a wheel bearing.

T-case engaged, it could maybe be there as well, but I would check wheel bearings before getting too exited. Also would go along with a hub problem.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
not really buzzing... more of a howl... im sure this description would work being as your ASE certified.. but its kinda like sometimes when your turning a drum on a lathe and it starts to have a steady tone to it like a tuning fork.. would say the shaving sounds about the same too the other noise i was hearing before the hum started...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
A noisy pump is a Ford thing, doesn't always affect steering itself...

that i know lol.. dad keeps thinking the fluids low on the mustang because of how loud it is... but even its louder than the trucks is...

Fellro

Staff member
Have you had a look at your brake pads?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yup... theyre barely a year old.. and still looking new.. minus the minute wear.. try to use them as little as possible when i can get away with it...ppl here keep waiting till the last minute to stop.. i try to slow down ahead of time so im only having to use them minutely...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Ah yes, the 3.9 Mustang power steering pump....

just as loud on the GT's ive been around... dont get why that cant make that thing quieter...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
when the weather breaks better, lock just 1 hub, then climb under the truck, and turn the drive shaft until it stops.
Unlock that hub, turn the drive shaft free again.
lock the other hub, turn the drive shaft until it stops.
If you have a bad hub, the driveshaft will keep turning even when the hub is locked.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts