Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4lo stuck!

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
alrite i got my 4lo to work 2 days ago real smooth disengaged after i was done climbing a hill and yesterday i put it in to see if it still worked and it did but wouldnt disengage at all 4hi and 4lo lights are on in the instrument panel and the push selector tried to push the 4lo button off but the box by the fuel emergency shut off button just clicks once and clicks again....? e4od transmission 13-56 borg warner 1992 f150

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Not sure if it's push button? but even if it isn't, and this may sound dumb and i'm sure you have tried it, but try disengaging it in neutral and then backing up. I'v had a few like that. Even manual transfer cases, in nuetral rolling backwards in my Bronco for example to get it out of low range.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yea, my truck was kinda tricky to get out of 4-lo sometimes too... Keep working with it, but do it on dirt ONLY! If you can unlock the hubs and see if that will help you at all...

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
yes push button type.... i took off the motor and turned the 2-4hi-4lo selector on the transfer case with a pliers with ease but couldnt attempt to turn the dial in the transfer case motor. would that be a sign of the motor going belly up?

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
hm. well i checked all the wires from the passenger kick panel to the motor itself and also the 4x4 push button didnt think to check the fuses ill get that done asap but when i did have the motor off and supported by the cross member i did push the button and checked it, the motors 4x4 'mover' didnt move at all. still in the same place as 4lo position, i had the transfer case in 2....

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
checked all the wires and fuses everything looks fine. note: when i push the 4lo the kick panel box clicks once then again and also notice my battery gauge goes low then goes to normal and the lights dim for a second?? but when i push the 4hi nothing at all no click lights are all on no surge????

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I have no clue how that system works, but maybe the motor is locked up?
The system is surging because it doesn't actually shift out of 4hi. So it doesn't have to do anything its already there, but it struggles to move it to 4lo cause its locked up?

Just an idea that came to mind, honestly i would have to be right there and see everything that is going on to be of any use...

At this point in time, i think i would want to see how hard it would be to make that trans a manual shift... Or if i were you, i would buy the one i have for sale and install it. :)

Seriously it isn't difficult to engage 4wd with a manual case... how lazy are people?

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
You almost got it. But its stuck in low and surges when i press the low. Wont go to hi no click no surge both light are on.... and with the manual i would swap if i had it in a heartbeat. I took the selector from the dash out and unplugged the battery and ill see if that works by sunrise got my fingers crossed. My money is on a seized motor.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
I have no clue how that system works, but maybe the motor is locked up?
The system is surging because it doesn't actually shift out of 4hi. So it doesn't have to do anything its already there, but it struggles to move it to 4lo cause its locked up?

Just an idea that came to mind, honestly i would have to be right there and see everything that is going on to be of any use...

At this point in time, i think i would want to see how hard it would be to make that trans a manual shift... Or if i were you, i would buy the one i have for sale and install it. :)

Seriously it isn't difficult to engage 4wd with a manual case... how lazy are people?

Lol aint no way im paying shipping cost from texas to utah

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
If its in low, then i don't understand why its trying to shift when you hit low?

Something doesn't sound right about that. Or i am misunderstanding how the system works ( entirely possible )

As for shipping, it would probably be cheaper than you might think, but you might be able to pick one up some what closer to you for nearly the same price.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
If still nothing tomorrow, and you feel up to it you could take the motor apart and see if everything looks normal or if something is obviously messed up...

Even if i am going to trade it in as a core for a part, i will take something apart just to see if its a simple fix or not. ( fixed a 400 dollar starter by doing this, just a simple copper tab had broken )

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
Well i cleaned everything up the box the push button wiring everything is fine but just once more note.... the trans doesnt try to engage everything is quiet only tue low makes a click when pushing low hi is oh so quiet im going to takr apatt the motor in a bit and see if thats tye problem

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
the motors do go bad . There was complete write up on them . Good luck finding it tho.

I have cleaned all contacts and worked motor (with bolts out to free up motor ) Help awhile sometimes. With sensors and the dozen wire on it hard to trace down . Find a donor to get all relays and stuff and work way to trans case. Motor I bet but $$ and its cheap to check out other stuff.

Since you 4 wheel allot . May as well know that this set up fails. And transfercase is different from manual 1.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
the motors do go bad . There was complete write up on them . Good luck finding it tho.

I have cleaned all contacts and worked motor (with bolts out to free up motor ) Help awhile sometimes. With sensors and the dozen wire on it hard to trace down . Find a donor to get all relays and stuff and work way to trans case. Motor I bet but $$ and its cheap to check out other stuff.

Since you 4 wheel allot . May as well know that this set up fails. And transfercase is different from manual 1.

we would both be in the money it was my motor! the shaft was seize to hell i turned the dial on the transfer case to 4hi then put the motor back in and pressed the 4hi out with a little clunk. BUT it wont go back into 4 hi or lo, dont matter since the options are a new motor or manual 4x4 leaning more toward the manual smilieFordlogo and yea i actually found the complete write up you mentioned

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts