Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4bbl... better milage?

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
I got a 351M with a stock 2bbl carb on it, I've been looking at putting a Holley 4bbl on it, from the looks of it-the front two ports on the 4bbl are actually smaller than the 2bbl ports, and I've been told that the back two ports(which are bigger) only open up when you really get into the throttle, so wouldn't that mean that at normal hiway driving the 4bbl would get better gas milage than the 2bbl?
:confused:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You're correct...typically the primaries are smaller. So in theory, it should get better mpg's, but as you stated, that is determined on how well you keep your foot out of it. Then you'll get into volumetric efficiency and whatnot whe trying to determine which 4bbl will yield the best results for you.

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
The 4bbl I was comparing the 2bbl to was an edelbrock, but i wanna go with a holley, not sure how the holley compares to the edelbrock though

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Holleys generlly suck for off road but are great for on road. They do make a truck avenger but I have yet to try one. I have a quad on my 410 and it will climb as steep as ya want it to and not power out. Edelbrocks are ok off road but on really steep stuff they will power out as well they are simple compared to holleys so they are easy to rebuild if your not too familiar with carbs.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you're looking for offroad performance...you may as well just go with a reversed Motorcraft 2150. As for Holley's...don't let Dan fool you, they're not that bad to rebuild or tune. IMO, the fact that most Holley's offer more tunability over other brands, allows for more people to screw up their carb by twisting this or turning that, when they don't or shouldn't be turned or twisted. My opinion of course. But I do agree that Holley's seem to be a better street carb. I run the street avenger carb on my rigs, and I can slope to 30*, and approach and departure are right at 35*...which isn't the greatest, but not terribly bad.

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
I'm trying to look up a good carb rebuid video, ain't never done no carb work but I got a Motorcraft 4bbl that came off my old 460. May beat buyin a new one

Whats up, my 02,

holley= more performance but a pain to tune
edelbrock=less performance but a child can easily tune it, is more reliable and can go for a lot longer without any servicing

Joe

Holleys generlly suck for off road but are great for on road. They do make a truck avenger but I have yet to try one. I have a quad on my 410 and it will climb as steep as ya want it to and not power out. Edelbrocks are ok off road but on really steep stuff they will power out as well they are simple compared to holleys so they are easy to rebuild if your not too familiar with carbs.

"Holleys generlly suck for off road" That is complete malicious BS.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts