Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 with poor gas mileage

not to get offtopic, but am I the only person here who want's a diesel just so I can smoke out ricers? :wasntme:

Not to help you get off topic, but I would love to see it... my buddy has a smoker cummins with twin stacks but they're in the bed. Can't really get inside a ricer's cab like side exhaust

Not to help you get off topic, but I would love to see it... my buddy has a smoker cummins with twin stacks but they're in the bed. Can't really get inside a ricer's cab like side exhaust

With sidepipes and a 460 you leave the one inside the ricer's cab shaken:rolling laugh:

SC
Get rid of that intake. Its absolutely killing your motor. Single plane low rise turd nugget. The carb is also WAAAAAY over sized as well.

A performer (non-rpm) and a Holley 670 would be a great choice.

and ummm some of us miss the 5mpg days. :-D

EDIT:
Give me some specs on the engine. Compression Heads Cam etc

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I have to say unless your 460 has been cammed out or had some other performance mods done to it, I think a Torker 2 manifold and a 780cfm carb is to much for a bone stock engine even if its a 460..
for a stock 460 you should just be running a Performer manifold and 750 carb.

Get rid of that intake. Its absolutely killing your motor. Single plane low rise turd nugget. The carb is also WAAAAAY over sized as well.

EDIT:
Hey! thats what I said! but none listen to the Tex...... :rotz:

Hey! thats what I said! but none listen to the Tex...... :rotz:
I have to say unless your 460 has been cammed out or had some other performance mods done to it, I think a Torker 2 manifold and a 780cfm carb is to much for a bone stock engine even if its a 460..
for a stock 460 you should just be running a Performer manifold and 750 carb.

I will listen to you Tex.....:) It have been done some work to the engine since it's converted to unlead fuel. If it's cammed out or have some other performance mods I don't know. Mybe I should try to get me a performer manifold and a edelbrock 750

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

EDIT:

smilieIagree

And if you knew what this guy was paying at the pump for fuel, it'd blow your mind.

Jesus!!!!!
how can people own cars there.

The gas price is one ting but cars isn't cheap either. Norway is a big producer of oil but that dosen't help us. The goverment want us all to go with bus or train. So I can tell you it's hard to be a american car enthusiast.

SC
110 is about $8-9 a gallon.

That Manifold is designed for running at a constant HIGH RPM not driving around town.

You need a performer type manifold and a 600 CFM edelbrock then drive like there is fresh egg under the gas pedal.

I got some spec on the engine: the cam is a Edelbrock Performer. The duration of it is 272 (intake) and 282 (exhaust), and the valve lift is .460 (intake) .480 (exhaust) and the part # is 2167. That part is out of a PAW catalog.

i aggree get rid of the intake and holly carb a performer intake with an edelbrock carb [600 to 700 cfm] is a good combo for a stock motor them hollys just dump fuel and you can never lean them out like an eddy another thing you can look at is a gearvenders over drive trans my trucks both have them and they work great if you running a 3.73 rear end your rpm will be about 2800@100 kph[60 mph] a gearvenders will cut that to about 2200 [-600 rpm or so] not a cheap conversion either but we pay $1.00 ltr for gas in alberta and when i can get 2 to 3 mpg better it pays for itself also look at getting rid of the steel fan and going with an electric fan/relay setup worth at least 1 mpg on the highway not turning that big peice of steel
hope this helps regurds joe

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts