Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 related questions...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm looking for pics of a factory 460 from the 87-91 trucks. I need to know paint colors and hose/belt routings. Also looking for any diagrams or sales brochures showing the engine bay area. Factory sticker placement would be nice too! :D Oh, and while you're at it, take a picture of the hood insulation so I know how to cut that out.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Here are pictures of an '89 with factory 460 Lariat. I am the second owner, and the engine was rebuilt shortly before I bought it.

There is no insulation underneath the hood. The valve covers are painted a gray color, and it looks original. The sticker is on the lower side of the driver's valve cover in the middle of the cover.

There are two serpentine belts. The driver's belt is for the A/C compressor, the power steering pump, and the crank.

The passenger's belt is for the alternator, the air pump?, the water pump/fan clutch, and the crank.

It doesn't look like the hood ever had insulation, but I'm not 100% certain.

DSCF2452.JPG

DSCF2453.JPG

DSCF2454.JPG

DSCF2455.JPG

DSCF2457.JPG

DSCF2456.JPG

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I don't recall ever seeing a gen8 with hood insulation.

Basically the whole engine is ford grey

So I take it you're putting a 460 in your supercab? :p

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Thanks Doug!

Matt, my F-Superduty had hood insulation; I know it for a fact... it's still in my garage!

Anywho, I'm considering either a 460 or 5.0...

Get the 460, they are beasts of motors. And look at getting a manual trans as it will be much better for longevity of the motor and other parts.
But the choice depends on what you are planning on doing with the vehicle.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts