Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 builds?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Im gunna go ahead and make it a street truck too..
:D
lol....

Well then go with the 521 if you want it to be a street truck too...seems like somebody sent me that direction...haha. Barnett was actually the place I was talking to about the 557 I wanted, but since I did a little research after you talked to me, I haven't done much in the line of talking to them about a 521.

And back to your original question...I was talking to a guy on the other site about big streetable strokers, and he told me rule of thumb for the biggest you want to go on the street is about 600ci...still not clear on why...I'm guessing it's purely wear on the engine.

Last edited:
572 is as big as you can get with a factory block with a 4.5" bore (really good block) and 4.5" stroke..anything bigger than that is aftermarket blocks with 4.625"+bores and tall deck blocks and of course stroker cranks(6" or so).

545 is probably the best way to go. keeping good cyl wall thickness isn't a bad thing with a .030" overbore.

Well then go with the 521 if you want it to be a street truck too...seems like somebody sent me that direction...haha. Barnett was actually the place I was talking to about the 557 I wanted, but since I did a little research after you talked to me, I haven't done much in the line of talking to them about a 521.

And back to your original question...I was talking to a guy on the other site about big streetable strokers, and he told me rule of thumb for the biggest you want to go on the street is about 600ci...still not clear on why...I'm guessing it's purely wear on the engine.

Can you even run pump gas on something that big?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Can you even run pump gas on something that big?

I know you can run pump gas up to the 572 region using premium octane...dunno beyond that.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You're right Dan...I was just putting up generic info...it depends on the specs of your build to determine what kinda fuel you can use, but I know you can run pump gas on a 572. For example...on my 400 builds, using stock heads I have to use a minimum of midgrade fuel, but if I swapped heads I could use 89 octane, or other heads might make me have to run premium...

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah I can run 87 in The Mule but I have to use a lead additive to keep it from pingin but it runs real good on premium and I dont have to put in the lead stuff. Dad says that when we re do the motor were gonna use the heads that came on the motor and not the ones that came on the 428. I had the 390 heads on before and I could run 85 and it wouldnt ping but when I swapped the 428 heads on there I cant run 87 without pingin if I dont use the lead.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts