Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

410 build up

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
He says he seats em up before even puttin any mileage on em. But he said if you've already got it runnin and you've got a little bit of smokin goin on to drain the water and let it run for 30 seconds-1 minute at a time for three to four times with 45 minutes cooldown periods and that should let em seal.......Like i said he usually seals em up before they get miles on em then the break in is 500 miles.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Hmm alright ill have to try that and see if itll work if not then guess well tear it down and put some regular cast rings in it. Thanks Junior.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Found out last night that its been slowly eatin the lifters from the start and it ate clear through one last night so today I pulled it down and found this. This is also why it hasnt had very good oil pressure.
The one on the far right is the one it ate through. The rest are all different hieghts.
008-5.jpg

Heres whats left of the one it ate through.
001-6.jpg

Heres the guts of it.
002-7.jpg

So we ordered a 272/282 edelbrock cam and lifter combo but dad dont wanna trust em so we also bought a set of Rhoads super lube lifters. I think this is all from not usin a break in oil on startup. So to fix that we bought 7 quarts of royal purple break in oil along with a high volume oil pump and pan gasket.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Got the lifters, oil pump, oil and pan gasket yesterday and the cam was supposed to ship today so probly gonna be puttin it back together next weekend.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Got the lifters, oil pump, oil and pan gasket yesterday and the cam was supposed to ship today so probly gonna be puttin it back together next weekend.

good luck!! keep us posted!

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I think it was because we didnt use break in oil at the very start. We used rotella 15w40 and thats supposed to have enough zinc and stuff in it that ya dont need to run break in oil, apparently it dont so we ordered 7 quarts of royal purple break in oil to make sure we dont have to do this again.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
I think it was because we didnt use break in oil at the very start. We used rotella 15w40 and thats supposed to have enough zinc and stuff in it that ya dont need to run break in oil, apparently it dont so we ordered 7 quarts of royal purple break in oil to make sure we dont have to do this again.

ahh ok .. im using castrol 10w30 [confused]

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I dont know maybe cheap lifters from Comp cams. I read somewhere that the lifters now are made of softer metal since the late 80s. I think that combined with the oil companies takin the zinc out of the oils is whats makin em eat lifters and cams.

Ford Truck Articles