Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4 and 6" lift question

Hey What becomes a pain or needs to be replaced when doing these lifts on a 4" or 6"(will decide what i will do by the amount of replacing>)

I know at 6" Dropped Pitman arm....and Brake lines usually but is there more to fords at 77-79 age that need to be changed when doing a lift??? Other than whats in the kit...

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
At 4"s the only mod that is NEEDED is a steering correction (pitman arm for 1/2 tons, a couple of other ways for the 250/350 trucks), and something to compensate for caster/driveline anges (degreed c-bushings for 1/2 tons and pinion wedges for the 250/350 trucks). I would suggest however that an upgraded set of stainless exteded length brake lines would be a good idea seeing as you'll be putting added stress on 30+ year old rubber brake lines with larger (heavier) tires.

At 6"s you'll need what the 4" needs but the driveshafts might be getting too short. I have 6"s in my '79 F250 and have flexed it fairly hard with the stock driveshafts w/o issue but you may not be as lucky.

At 4"s the only mod that is NEEDED is a steering correction (pitman arm for 1/2 tons, a couple of other ways for the 250/350 trucks), and something to compensate for caster/driveline anges (degreed c-bushings for 1/2 tons and pinion wedges for the 250/350 trucks). I would suggest however that an upgraded set of stainless exteded length brake lines would be a good idea seeing as you'll be putting added stress on 30+ year old rubber brake lines with larger (heavier) tires.

At 6"s you'll need what the 4" needs but the driveshafts might be getting too short. I have 6"s in my '79 F250 and have flexed it fairly hard with the stock driveshafts w/o issue but you may not be as lucky.

What did you do for a lift ? And what size tires you running ?

I've done a 6" lift on my old Gmc(shh i know :p ) but i just had to do the Brake lines, dropped pitman and everything else "worked" Oh and i dropped my Swaybar. but otherwise...nothing however its steering was seriously hurt by the lift...Radius of turning turned into tank mode...

FTF'er
Got any pics of the old GMC?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
What did you do for a lift ? And what size tires you running ?

6" lift and 35" tires.......for now, next set will be in the 37" range or maybe a little larger.

Ford Truck Articles