Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

360 engine distributor and timing question.

Ok guys. So I bought a D.U.I. Distributor for my 1975 f250. It's got a 360 engine in it. For some reason I've been having trouble following the hanes manual or manufacturers instructions. Lining up to top dead center and lining up the wires and plugs in the correct order just ain't doing it. Anyone got some crazy secrets to this or perhaps just some words of encouragement/ridicule?

blacksnapon

Staff member
get #1 cyl at top dead center on compression stroke, insert dist into hole, compensating for the movement that the gear (diagonal cut) makes, put the rotor in correct alignment, so that when fully seated, it will line up with #1 on the cap. Remember to put slight downward pressure on distributor while cranking to assist in oil pump shaft lining up.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
A easy way of doing this get a long wooden stick about the size of a number 2 pen and put it in the spark plug hole and then turn your engine by hand, watch the stick as it comes up, as soon as it starts to go back down stop, and go back a little and try to get it were the stick is at the highest..
Thats pretty close to tdc..
Then drop the dizzy in and run your plug wires.

http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_352-428.htm

firingorderFords.jpg

Most people make the mistake being 180 Degrees out because they forget there are 2 times when the piston is at TDC .
If the Piston on #1 is at TDC on Power stroke the timing marks should be close to aligned..this is your confirmation.
Make sure you have the orientation for #1 plug wire and correct rotation of the dist rotor for firing order .

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I made a "tool" took a old spark plug and drilled from the top out the bottom of the plug and inserted a a small brass rod. With this you can hear the air escaping to know it is on the compression stroke and see the rod rising.When it hits the apex and starts to drop that is TDC.

Technically, that's 360 degrees out... but I'm picky. sorry.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts