Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351W

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Chris is right, the whole valve train is under pressure. If something is wobbling like the rocker, then something on one of the sides of the rocker is busted. If you have it apart, it should be pretty clear. The spring is either broken or it's not. If it's still together and fully expanded, your rocker should be tipped back and your pushrod will be lower than it should be (crushed lifter).

If the spring is taller than it should be, it's something on the pushrod side. If the spring is broken, it'll become self evident.

Ryan

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Guys listen ....If the lifter collasped as i suspect the rocker arm will be loose..trust me on this...the lifter is no longer in a pumped stage therefore the plunger has sunk in the lifter bore,the valve will not open under this circumstance...ive seen it many times on the windsor..A broken valve spring should be pretty evident by inspection...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i understand that it could be a lifter.. but a valve spring is a quick check..

he says he didnt see if the valves were stuck open or stuck closed...

thats what this will take care of.

lift would have the valve stuck closed.. broke or collapsed valve spring would be valve stuck open..

it could go either way..

Valve spring not broken. But I don't have to worry about collapsed lifters stuck valves or any of that anymore. That's right folks spun a bearing smoked the engine almost got left in the middle of the road, will be surprised to get it started enough to pull it in the shop when I get an engine if I decide to do that. Been debating with myself as to whether sell it as is and get something else or just go ahead and spend the money and fix it. And if I decide to fix it get an engine from around here or get one from that place in Texas that Flareside suggested because they have a nice deal with their stuff. I don't know what do you all think??

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Well a couple questions ya have to ask..

What can you get currently for the truck in the condition it's in engine and all..

Is there any personal attachment...

What would it cost to get it up and running vs. buying a different truck of similar condition.

Is it really worth putting the time and effort into an engine swap?!?

When you answer these questions you'll know your answer....

What can I get for it in as is condition? Not really sure barely what I paid for it probably. Any personal attachment?? I think I have more of a personal attachment to the fact that I have a pickup more than the brand that it is. I use my pickup regardless of make to obtain extra money on the side and have fun. What would it cost to get it running over buying something else? About the same give or take. Is it worth the time an effort to do the engine swap?? Undecided on that one. Thanks for the questions though made me think a little.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Thats a Real bummer Tall.....If it was me...moneys tight as you say..and you do use the vehicle to make a few bucks...Ide go the used Motor route and transfer the good parts on the runing engine to save on cost.....You would also get more out of it in a running condition,should you decide to sell it....imo cost to fix it is way better than another payment,if the vehicle is worthy of it.

Thats a Real bummer Tall.....If it was me...moneys tight as you say..and you do use the vehicle to make a few bucks...Ide go the used Motor route and transfer the good parts on the runing engine to save on cost.....You would also get more out of it in a running condition,should you decide to sell it....imo cost to fix it is way better than another payment,if the vehicle is worthy of it.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid X2

Yeah I started poking around for a engine out of the junkyard to get it going for now and none of them have a windsor to put in it and that is what I want to stick with. I still have time until taxes come in so I have time to shop around. But at least now as of today I am not completely out on my own transportation without taking my wife's car. I was able to scrape just enough money to buy a vehicle. So now I am driving a 1996 Chevy Blazer that I only paid $900 for. So at least I have something until the truck is going again. At least this is better than pedaling to work everyday on the bike when it is 10 degrees outside. The beast will run again and I will make sure to post it on here when it does.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts