Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351W mods

Generally a Cat is good for about 75k, or so I'm told. after that, it's a crap shoot.
Odds are if there are no problems with mileage or temps, they're still doing their jobs. I just make sure I mention them so you won't be surprized when they DO need replacing.
A good muffler man can check them, and an even better one does it for free. If you need one, I got a guy down here that I'd leave my wallet on the front seat while he works on it; he's that honest.
some pointers... If the car has that "rotten egg smell" on start-up OR an otherwise sound engine bucks or hiccups on heavy acceleration, it is probably the cat.

Fellro

Staff member
Another way to spot a bad cat is exhaust rattling inside, and one final, if it seems to totally lack power, then when you back off, it seems to all of a sudden have some power, the cat is plugged. In al reality, I haven't had too many cat failures, but for whatever the reason, the Ford truck cats seem to be very common to plug.

We had a bad one on a mid 80s ford truck once that turned bright red after driving it for a while. My brother was trying to learn to drive a standard trans, so I didn't realize it was a problem with the truck when it kept dying.

I was really harrasing him for killing it so much. :rolling laugh: OOPS!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
yeah, we had a cat go bad on a GM van that my parents have. They still don't trust my judgement on diagnosing somewhat simple problems. There was a rattling on acceleration. I told them it sounded like a piece broke off inside of the cat. Sure enough...

Ryan

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
If you need one, I got a guy down here that I'd leave my wallet on the front seat while he works on it.
I fee the same way about my buddy that helps me with my truck. Of course, I've gone shooting with him and he knows I can shoot a 500 S&W Magnum. :) He also knows it'll penetrate 5 out of 6 cylinders in an old Ford straight 6. :cooldude:

this is what occurs with a new cat and a bad crank....caution advised

IMG_2589.jpg

Another way to spot a bad cat is exhaust rattling inside, and one final, if it seems to totally lack power, then when you back off, it seems to all of a sudden have some power, the cat is plugged. In al reality, I haven't had too many cat failures, but for whatever the reason, the Ford truck cats seem to be very common to plug.
I think it's because ford uses the two-in-line smaller cats... never understood it. You gotta replace them both, so what's the deal with using two?

I got myself climbed out of debt, and next up will be tires... Should be ordering this week. :)

Ryan[/QUOTE
you owe me at least a $hundred.... out of debt is realative:beer:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You can download the motorsports catalog free. I know he might be to cheap to go to the dealer and buy one. :D

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You can download..? I might do that and put off the tires. They have a few more miles on them, especially since it's still summer. I was going to do some headers first so it can breathe.

Ryan

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I put Hedman thermal coated headers on the 393w in my 94 F150 and i love the finish on them. Hasn't turned color or started to rust yet and it's been over a year.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts