Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351W heads on a 302?

Hey yall i know this shouldnt be a big deal, i decided to build a 302 instead of a 351W, im planning on puttin it in either a ranger or a bronco 2, something small, or may just sell it all together and put in a v6? i want a trail truck that still does decent in mud,but anyways would i only need to drill out the head bolt holes on the block and then tap them for the bigger size?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I know they make bushings that allow you to use the 302 bolts in the 351 heads.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I know on Chevy engine they put 305 heads on 350s, it gives them much higher compression I don't see why you can't do the same thing on a ford engine but I don't know about doing it the other way around...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
gt-40 heads on the 302's are a popular upgrade for the 351 guys. I am thinking about it, but not sure if i want to put the money into this motor or not...

Fellro

Staff member
I know on Chevy engine they put 305 heads on 350s, it gives them much higher compression I don't see why you can't do the same thing on a ford engine but I don't know about doing it the other way around...

That works because they use the same size head bolts. 305's have 58 cc combustion chambers, while 350's typically have 76 cc combustion chambers.

The problem I can see with the w heads on a 302 is exactly that kind of thing, but backwards, the larger combustion chamber on a smaller displacement motor. Not sure if that is an actual problem with the Fords, but it is a potential problem.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
That works because they use the same size head bolts. 305's have 58 cc combustion chambers, while 350's typically have 76 cc combustion chambers.

The problem I can see with the w heads on a 302 is exactly that kind of thing, but backwards, the larger combustion chamber on a smaller displacement motor. Not sure if that is an actual problem with the Fords, but it is a potential problem.

Ya so it would be lowing the 302s compression and that just wouldn't have a whole of sense...
I got some E7 heads :D i'll sell um to ya real cheap :p

thats a damn good deal, ill do some more research, i may just sell the heads ive got but theyve got alot of work done to them, eh whatever theyll make good heads for someone

yeah, nah i think imma sell off all the parts i have, and try and build a ranger or something and just do the suspension for now (sas and what not) then later on ill build a motor for it, probably just a 302

haha yeah it would be, ill probably just pull a 5.0 outta a mustang or a truck and build a mild roller 5.0 with efi and all, i need to build the suspension and all first though, i may be trading my truck for a 99 2wd ranger soon, ill just set up the axles and steering and all then work on gettin the xcase and all set up

FYI...

All 302 and 351 truck motors after 1987 used the exact same E7TE casting, same ports, same valve sizes, same combustion chamber size. The only difference is the bolt hole size, so the heads can be swapped from 1 motor to the other by either boring out the holes to 1/2" for the 351, or by using a collar around the 7/16 bolt on the 302 motor. If you get some heads from the '60's then you'll find they have different combustion chamber sizes and the 351 heads used larger valves, so there is something to gain if you put the right combo together. None of the early heads work as well as the '90's GT40 heads however, and the aftermarket is filled with heads that vastly outperform those.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I didn't know that Paul O thanks dude, your seemingly endless knowledge on every thing is truly priceless, your like the master Yoda of FTF :DThanks man

I'll claim pretty good knowledge on the Windsor family of motors and the '87-96 F series trucks, but I certainly don't know it all. Thanks for the props all the same.YelloThumbUp

x2 man been reading through and you seem to really know your chit, thanks for the info!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts