Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351w blocks?

Fellro

Staff member
Are these things mechanical rollers when set up stock? I doubt they're hydraulic. I'm just browsing parts on summit racing.

Ryan

They are hydraulic. Just because they are rollers does not negate being hydraulic.Hydraulic allows for oil being pumped through, and allows you to not have to adjust the lash all the time. Racing lifters are common to be solid, but street setups tend to be hydraulic.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Okay, just trying to gather info. I have a lot of reading to do.

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I got an engine hoist from Autozone and it worked great for pulling the engine out of my truck. It was $200. I'd let you borrow it but it would cost more in gas to come pick it up :rolling laugh:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Mate you have a wife in a million - mine would tear me a new a**hole if i even so much as suggested that.

She let him build an engine in the kitchen, but then made him sell the truck. Go figure [confused]

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I just dropped off my GT40 heads at the machine shop. They're getting cleaned, he's boring out the head bolt holes so the 351 bolts will fit, taking it apart, checking out everything for me. Getting them planed as well. Hopefully everything checks out good.

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes you should start one...and really, it takes what it takes..I'm surprised I don't get razzed more on my truck :D

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I just dropped off my GT40 heads at the machine shop. They're getting cleaned, he's boring out the head bolt holes so the 351 bolts will fit, taking it apart, checking out everything for me. Getting them planed as well. Hopefully everything checks out good.

Ryan

Make sure they are mag'd, at the bare minimum make sure they are die checked.

Fellro

Staff member
They induce a magnetic field in the heads, then dump iron filings on them. If there is a crack, the magnetic field is changed due to the discontinuity, and the filings will stand up showing the crack. For aluminum heads, they use a UV dye to show the cracks. I would imagine it works the same on cast iron heads as well.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Gotcha. I told him to recondition them for me, so I'll trust the pros to do what they do. It's supposed to be a reputable machine shop so I'll let you know when I get them back.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
It will be the first check they do. There is no point going on with any work if the head is cracked. It is possible to weld them, but that is not ideal. Typically welding is reserved for aluminum heads. Works better on aluminum than cast. For the most part, welding cast is not a good thing. Not impossible, but not ideal.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I dropped them off last Monday (the 16th). I want to get the stupid things back !!!! I admit I have nothing to do with them right now, but I'm excited either way.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts