Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351m engine question

tinman52

Tin bender
I have a chance to pick up a 351m engine for my COE project....but since space is very limited I'm not sure it will fit. How much bigger are they than a 302? Bigger than a 390? I'm talking about physical size .....
Anybody have any dimensions? Need overall width and height. Tried to search the web, but not finding much.
The engine I found is in a van and pretty tough to see let alone measure!
Thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Personally...I wouldn't swap a 351M in to anything, unless it's free and you just need an engine. I don't have any actual dimensions, but it's bigger than a 302 and slightly smaller than a 390.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
It is about the same as a cleveland but with tall deck,and big block trans bolt pattern.Can be very powerful if you know how to build it...Now with that said,i have to agree with Bens statement also.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It is about the same as a cleveland but with tall deck,and big block trans bolt pattern.Can be very powerful if you know how to build it...Now with that said,i have to agree with Bens statement also.

Yeah...I've dabbled...have a couple build threads around here. But if you're gonna go M, you may as well go 400...just as plentiful and as cheap and you start with an extra 50 cubes.

This is all good advice, above. The 351M/400 is a monster sized engine, physically. It probably is close to a 390 because the exhaust comes out at a different angle on the M vs. the FE, out instead of down. Keep in mind the 351C and 351W are similar sized, which are both significantly larger than the 302, and the M is way bigger yet. Many of the COE/late V8 conversions I've seen move the engine to behind the cab because they are so big and take up too much cab space.

havi

third member
roughly 25" across the outer ends of the valve covers, ex. mani's stick out further a little more. 31" from back to the front of the fan. 29" or so from bottom of oil pan (rear sump) to the top of the carb/s wingnut (holds air cleaner on).

Any more specifics I can measure again. I have one in my '78 F150, one on the stand, and a bare block in the garage (for my Fairlane drag car)

tinman52

Tin bender
Thanks Havi, looks to be real similar size as the 390.....I went to the wrecking yard today and looked at a 351m up close. A little too big for what I'm trying to do.....the search continues.
Thanks for all of the replies!

A 351 Windsor or 302 might be a greatbmotor for you if you have limited space.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Ben quoted "Yeah...I've dabbled...have a couple build threads around here. But if you're gonna go M, you may as well go 400...just as plentiful and as cheap and you start with an extra 50 cubes."

I hear ya man and agree...But when the customer brings them to you and wants them "Built" so to speak.hey who am i to argue the point,and when i tell them i can stroke it out to be a 400....They love hearing things like that...
...:) $$$$

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts