Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351 build has begun!

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Ok so ive made my decision and its not a 460 or a cummins... Ive selected a 351w. I picked one up for dirt cheap sunday morning for 150 bucks, not bad, it wasnt modified what so ever. So i began the teardown monday after work and finished yesterday after work, now its sitting completely torndown

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Congrats...but I will say, you may have saved a couple hundred dollars on the front end, but for big power you'll be spending waaaaaaaay more money on the tail end with the 351 if you keep it NA. But if you decide to keep it a mild to moderate build, no biggie. So what exactly are your plans for this build?

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
i want to shoot for 400-450 carbed with a mean cam and aluminum heads, no ecu what so ever

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Don't know much about building SB's, but with those goals, you could have bought a $300 460, dropped 2-3k on it, easily gotten those numbers and still have power down low. So I wish you luck.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Thats true with a big block i can easily achieve that but i wanted to do a small block , dont really know why, as for a stroker i dont know what route all i know now is i want to punch it out. But im just starting to think about how i want it, im open to suggestions

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
A 351 that cant make that isn't worth anything...

You gonna go stroker??

Like I said, I'm SB ignorant, but not one of those guys that thinks the 460 is the only viable option. But I am one of those guys that believes SB's don't have a place in big heavy trucks...and I know lots of factors play in to that. But I have had several rigs with 302's and 351's and been less than impressed.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
i was thinkin about punching it out to a 412, ...... a 408 stroker sounds good

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
well, when i bring it to the machine shop im gonna consult them and see how much i can go im thinkin the extreme would be .050 over and a 408 stroker kit

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
id try to compensate that for keepin an eye on the engine temp, gettin a monsterous aluminum radiator and a high flow electric water pump, id like to be between .040 and .050 over

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I thought you could do 427 also, but what do I know. I'm happy with my 302. Keeps me out of trouble :rofl:

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
i dont think id wanna punch it out that far i still want it to be reasonable

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
i want something reliable, yet with enough sack to wipe those stupid rice burners off the road and teach em a lesson then head to the truck pulls and do good

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts