Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 ?'s

ok i have a few questions. i bought a 95 f-150 and i want to know. what is the difference in the mustang 5.0 motors and the f-150 5.0 motors. would swapping the top half of a mustang on to my f-150 be a good idea? (heads, intake, throttle body, etc.) and would i need to swap the ecu? if not would i need a tune after the swap? so far all i have done is the a/c and smog pump deletd and underdrive pullys. thank you.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok i have a few questions. i bought a 95 f-150 and i want to know. what is the difference in the mustang 5.0 motors and the f-150 5.0 motors. would swapping the top half of a mustang on to my f-150 be a good idea? (heads, intake, throttle body, etc.) and would i need to swap the ecu? if not would i need a tune after the swap? so far all i have done is the a/c and smog pump deletd and underdrive pullys. thank you.

it wouldnt be worth it.. the truck intake is fine for the engine, and the heads are exactly the same.

The heads you want to look for are some GT-40 heads. read here to find out what all they come off of.

the next best thing to do is a 6 Litre Tuneup. > http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592

but if thats not enough swap out that piss poor truck cam for something aftermarket...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yeah the main difference is going to be that cam. The heads are likely the same.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The intake on the truck really isn't restrictive at all.

I don't think you'll need a tune for the heads, but when the cam starts changing I'm not totally sure. I'll let one of the more experienced guys step in.

Ryan

The only stock intake I'd swap to is the gt40, and no you wont need a "tune" But I would check and reset your timing....

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
First off, is the truck speed density or mass air? Second...the only difference between a Mustang with the "HO" engine is the cam and intake set. I have a Mustang intake set I plan on installing on my truck in the near future. The truck intakes were built for a heavy truck....so they're made for more low end torque (hence the longer runners) while the Mustang intake is geared for horsepower(hence the shorter runners) The GT40 heads are a good step upfrom the E7TE's, but there are plenty of aftermarket heads available for these engines in the less than 800 dollar a set range. The answer to my question at the beginning of this longwinded post is going to dictate my responses to your other questions. Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords did a technical article on the power differences between the Mustang intake, the GT40 intake and the Edelbrock intake in last months issue...while the GT40 intake made good power...it wasn't until way up in the RPM curve. The stock Mustang upper/lower will do just fine gasket matched in a mild build.

Last edited:
Couple tidbits I can add here. I did some number crunching the other day and it turns out the stock truck(5.0 and 5.8) dual throttle bodies are equal to a 75mm single, for reference the stock TB on the HO motor is a single 60mm and that motor can get into the 260ish HP range with some exhaust work and a few simple changes.

The truck 5.0 intake also has a much larger volume intake system with runners that are straighter and have a larger cross section than any other stock SBF intake... and some aftermarket intakes. Bottom line is the 5.0 truck intake is not a bottleneck and it probably wouldn't be a bottleneck on a 347 stroker. Here are all three 5.0 intakes side by side, HO on the left, truck in the middle, and GT40/Explorer on the right.

The difference in total runner length between the truck and car intakes isn't much, about 15.5" for the HO and 16.5" for the truck version, so both intakes are tuned to low to mid range rpms more than high rpms.
IMO the HO intake is better suited to a 5.0 with stock heads than the truck version, but as soon as you change the heads the HO intake becomes the bottleneck. That is assuming the motor has enough cam to to let the motor breath, and "enough cam" means quite a bit more than any stock 5.0, but putting that much cam in a 5.0 also moves the powerband further up in rpms, and that may or may not be what you want.

Last edited:
Couple tidbits I can add here. I did some number crunching the other day and it turns out the stock truck(5.0 and 5.8) dual throttle bodies are equal to a 75mm single, for reference the stock TB on the HO motor is a single 60mm and that motor can get into the 260ish HP range with some exhaust work and a few simple changes.

The truck 5.0 intake also has a much larger volume intake system with runners that are straighter and have a larger cross section than any other stock SBF intake... and some aftermarket intakes. Bottom line is the 5.0 truck intake is not a bottleneck and it probably wouldn't be a bottleneck on a 347 stroker. Here are all three 5.0 intakes side by side, HO on the left, truck in the middle, and GT40/Explorer on the right.

The difference in total runner length between the truck and car intakes isn't much, about 15.5" for the HO and 16.5" for the truck version, so both intakes are tuned to low to mid range rpms more than high rpms.
IMO the HO intake is better suited to a 5.0 with stock heads than the truck version, but as soon as you change the heads the HO intake becomes the bottleneck. That is assuming the motor has enough cam to to let the motor breath, and "enough cam" means quite a bit more than any stock 5.0, but putting that much cam in a 5.0 also moves the powerband further up in rpms, and that may or may not be what you want.

Couldn't the powerband issue be solved with gears?

Couldn't the powerband issue be solved with gears?

I somehow deleted the pics from that last post so I'll go back and add them again if I can.

Back to the question at hand. Yes the solution to the powerband issues with the 5.0 is gears, none of the 5.0 trucks came with enough from the factory IMO, all should have got 3.73 gears out of the box and that means it wants even more when you start building the motor. There is no building a 5.0 into powerplant with great TQ from idle up.. that takes more displacement when it's in a heavy vehicle, so let it spool up and then use axle ratios that complement the motor.

Here are all three 5.0 intakes side by side, HO on the left, truck in the middle, and GT40/Explorer on the right.

Here are the pics I was gonna add to the other post. First the three 5.0 intakes..
3440707772_6c3afcb8e2_o.jpg

And another angle of the 5.0 truck where you can see down through all 4 ports on 1 side at the same time, the car lowers are flatter with smaller ports so this view simply isn't possible with them. Port flow is as much about port shape as it is size and Ford got both right on this intake, the piece is tall so the port curves are gradual and overall pretty straight, and it came before the 5.8 version so you have to wonder how they managed to screw it up so bad.

2349326545_19e7d8f234_o.jpg

so then is the truck intake what i should use? what about the gt-40 intake uppers and lower. also, so i would notice a lot more power with a cam? i can break it loose in second gear alrady no problem but thats not enough. i want hellacious response.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I imagine a good RV cam would wake it updown low if that's what you're looking for.....it's all a big puzzle though and whatever you choose the pieces need to compliment each other.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts