Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 Ranger progress

FTF'er
I thought about the 5.0 Explorer radiator also, but I wasn't sure about a fan and I already have the Taurus fan. I can get a used Explorer radiator pretty cheap. A pic or two of the radiator and fan would be cool if you have them. No hurry though, this is a slow moving project for me.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I think I have some of the radiator/fan assembly. It was a tight fit (though most will be) and the fans needed a little fab to mount them. Nothing serious though.

I really, really, reallllly need to get a new power supply.

00BlueOvalRanger

Old Fart Sharpshooter
Hey 5.0!!!!!!!

That looks pretty darned 'slick'!!

One request. . . . can you take that back out and start all over, and include pics this time!?!?!?!?!?

I've got a '00 Ranger w/a 3.0 in it, and I'd like to step up the power some.

Hey, thanks in advance!

:beer:

FTF'er
Ok, my baby boy has been in the hospital a lot recently, but now I've got a little time to spend on the Ranger.

The wiring harness is nearly done, and is turning out real nice. Pics will be posted when it's done.

A lot of misc little stuff has been done.

I'm modifying the passenger side header so it works better.

And the cool thing for today... my fuel lines are done!!!

I used Ford factory type nylon fuel tubing. I slid it into some 3/8" rubber fuel hose to help protect it from heat and abrasion.

Here is the pressure line fitting for the fuel rail... Is this a common fitting on anything? I don't recall seeing them this long with this angle very often.

8-04-09006.jpg

And the quick connect that goes on the fuel filter...

8-04-09005.jpg

Return line fitting for the fuel rail...

8-04-09004.jpg

This is a compression fitting that will attach to the steel return line near the fuel filter...

8-04-09003.jpg

And the 2 hoses...

8-04-09001.jpg

Sounds like a cool swap. I have a spare 302/t5 layin around that I need to find something to throw it into, ranger sounds like it could be fun.

Hey Paul my 90 BII needs a little more ummph that would fit real gooder in it.

FTF'er

I have fuel pressure, the motor turns over, and I have spark. I'm hoping to fire this thing up tomorrow! :WooHoo:

And a pic of the wiring harness. The 5.0 engine harness has 3 connectors that connect to this harness. This harness connects to the EEC, the 3 engine harnesses, Ranger firewall harness, MAF, transmission, right oxygen sensor, and coil/distributor.

8-27-09004.jpg

FTF'er

The electrical part was the easy part, although it was also the most time consuming.

I have some FlowMasters (freebies) from my brother's car that I'm going to run. It will have duals ran to the back bumper.

My Dad called me earlier when I was putting in the u-joint...

him: what you doing?
me: working on the Ranger, I hope to start it today.
him: do you think that thing will really run?
me: I know it will.
him: well, you certainly sound confident! Bring it out when you're done.

Now I'm just hoping everything goes fine, lol...

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Tex, it wasn't so hot on the highway. It was inconvenient with only two seats. That was really it. I figured I just needed something more "mature".

...So I bought an Exploder...it gets 16 mpg...gas spiked to $4 soon after...I was a happy camper. :p

FTF'er

It runs! :WooHoo:

I don't have any water in the engine yet, so I didn't let it run for long.

FTF'er
I'll get a short vid when I get some water in it and get it out of the garage, prolly later this week.

FTF'er
And I need to get a new plug wire too...

FTF'er

IT RUNS!!! I Backed It Out Of The Garage And Parked It In The Driveway!!!! :WooHoo:

I still need to install an e-fan and get some exhaust put on it. There's several small details that need attention, but all of the hard work is done. This engine has an external TFI, which some people claim is a real pain to work with, but it wasn't any problem at all.

Here's a short video taken by the very understanding and patient lady of the house...

FTF'er

Thanks guys, I'm SO excited now that it moves on it's own.

It's taken about 3 months to get this far. It didn't really take many hours to do, it's just that sometimes I'd go a couple weeks without even going out to the garage.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts