Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 has a miss

So this 1976 F-100 that has 302 supposedly bored .30 with a .471 lift cam has a miss and I'm stumped. I bought the truck about a month ago and on the test drive I noticed what seemed to be a vague miss. I asked about it and was told that it had some bad gas in it. Given that the motor supposedly only has about 3000mi on it that seemed legit. Since then, I have ran a couple bottles of gas treatment with a half tank of 93 octane, replaced the wires, cap, and coil. Verified the timing is at 14degrees. The plug wires are not crossed and all vacuumn lines are connected or plugged. I did the paper over exhaust thing and it didn't suck. I had the ignition module tested and it was good. Spark plugs look good.
You can hear the miss at idle barely. Cruising at 2500 rpm it is really noticeable and annoying but if you step on the gas it runs awesome.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:headbang:

Getting back to the miss... After going back and forth with the timing light and vacuum gage I think the carb and timing are set right. However, still got a miss. But what I learned during this is, most everything I read said the vacuum should be between 17 and 21 or advance timing to the highest vacuum reading. well the highest I could get it was about 20 and that was stretching the wires going into the distributor. I checked the timing and it was reading at BDC... I googled and googled and finally found something that said with a cam and or modified engine, 15 with a slight bounce in the needle was normal. I set it there and the timing is about 12. Now about this miss, I guess it has to be the spark plugs. They are gapped at .44 which is OEM specs. I'm wondering if .35 would be better or should I go up? Are accel plugs worth the money? I guess its more or less going to be trial and error but if you have had a similiar experience and figured it out I would appreciate your advice.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just so you have your terminology right, it would be a high stall torque converter. All converters have a stall speed....not saying this in any way to be a dick, just trying to be helpful :wavey:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts