Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

300efi build ?'s

Ok so i have a factory rebuilt head. replacing the head made me think, these are dished pistons! I have an extra block laying around. i was wondering if it is possible to run a true flat top piston in these motors without valve interference? what would that bring the compression ratio to (roughly, i know you wouldnt be able to give me an exact figure but a rough estimate?)and if i were to put a mild cam in it would that cause interference? thanks in advanced guys!!!!!
~JAKE

please dont say "drop a v8 in it" i dont want to. i want to keep the 300/6. everyone has a v8, but who has a 300/6 runnin like a raped ape?! lol

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
You could put flattops in it if you can find any...

What's the stock c/r on that? 8.5? flattops just as a knee jerk estimate should get you to 9 or 9.5:1...

I'm gonna say it anyway: go with a v8. lots of people love the 4.9 but IMHO you can get way better power AND decent fuel economy with a properly built V8.

A mild cam should be no problem. I only ever had one 300 though and that was a while ago, so someone may correct me.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I just hopped on summit racing and I don't see any pistons that would change the compression ratio. You could always have the heads planed just a little bit to increase compression.

There do appear to be some aftermarket camshafts. What are the other specs of your truck? What year? Is it mass air flow?

Ryan

primetime

sawmill slave
Well, to throw that old adage out there, "speed costs money son. Just how fast do you want to go?" There is all kinds of stuff out there for 300s. Little if any of it is going to work with a speed density EFI engine.

That being said, there are ways around everything. The first people I would talk to is Clifford Performance. They specialize in six cylinder stuff. If you`re dead set on flat tops and nobody offers them you can always call up some of the top piston manufacturers about custom units.

Raising compression by itself will only gain you a little. It does build torque though. And when you want power, you have to look for a lot of littles. Unless you want to squeeze it or boost. Then you`ll get big gains.:D

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
If your a speed density truck, you might want to look into MAF, there much more supportive of such upgrades. Also the tuning will be easier for you. Making changes like that will create the need for a custom tune so your computer knows what it needs to do to make the most of the changes. :)

You could have a 500 CI bbf with efi, but if its tuned poorly its going to run like crap... When it comes to EFI, you can spend thousands on tuning... Top of the line custom tunes don't come cheap and they come with lots of dyno time...
So... that said, make sure you find a good guy who can tune it right for you when your done...
Or go carbed and make it "easier" for your self by "easier" i mean cheaper.

well i found out on a fordsix (a strictly /6 only forum) that the compression ratio would be roughly 10.9:1 with flat tops. they have links to all kinds of vendors and tuning companies that specialize in these motors. and would MAF from MAP really make a huge power difference? what all would that swap require?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The Mass Air Flow set up doesn't make it faster by itself, it is just a system that is 'smarter' and adapts to changes in horsepower. Instead of referring to a locked amount of fuel per rpm, it has an air meter that measures the air it takes in then adjusts the fuel accordingly.

Ryan

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
A good port and polish is all you need to wake it right up, you won't have to do anything else, and it will scream. If you have plenty of money, there are a lot of mods, but your stock injectors, and fuel pressure won't keep up.

Clifford will have a selection for carb'd engines, but efi you will have to buid yourself, then go with mega squirt, for your management

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
Mine runs like a raped ape, i have a mildy built fuelie 300 and been runnin it for years. Ask away.

I need to refer to my notebook of suitable fuelie head mods before i can recommend anything but i would suggest a 3 angle valve job.

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
This cam from Crane works really well on a fuelie 300 (its what i am running): http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-503901/
No need for any valve train mods either. Just have the valve springs checked for proper installed height and all. I would also replace the phenolic gears with a set of steel timing gears from a 70s F150 with a 300. Over time the phenolic gears can shred the teeth and cause all kind of awsome problems.

Another thing i run are hedmen headers. While some say the factory "headers" are sufficent i feel differentlt. The hedmans are a long tube design and really pick up the low to mid range.

I also upgraded the igintion, lightly ported the intakes, ran a 302/35 throttle body for a while (no gain, went back to stock) and just a very basic clean up on the head.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Keep the ratio reasonable for good gas mileage and throw a turbo on it. There is a lot on fordsix performance about turbo on a 300 6

Ford Truck Articles