Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

300 vs. 351

Right now i have a 300 in my truck but im trying to decide wether to rebuild the one i have or just buy a 351 and rebiuld it and drop that in my truck i like the low end in the 300 but i could use more horse power runnin my 38.5's. What do you guys think i should do?

I think it would be a good idea. It would help pull those tires. 351 windsor or what?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
All things being equal the 351 is a better performing engine. The 300 might have it beat on toughness and reliability, but if I were turning 38's I wouldn't go with anything but the 351w. Throw some decent heads on there, cam it sort of mildly and get 300 hp out of it.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
These types of questions, you have to factor in the point of diminishing return. I love the 300, but to get the same results out of a 300 as a mildly built 351...your wallet will be alot lighter.

Side question though...what are you geared??? If you're not geared properly for your application, a re-gear could be a quick cheat and offset the 300's shortfalls.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
These types of questions, you have to factor in the point of diminishing return. I love the 300, but to get the same results out of a 300 as a mildly built 351...your wallet will be alot lighter.

Side question though...what are you geared??? If you're not geared properly for your application, a re-gear could be a quick cheat and offset the 300's shortfalls.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

Ask any off roader, it's all in the gears. Look at those Toy's that are running big tires with 4 cylinders!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Ah sweet, I'm in Umatilla. I agree with the gears man. Definitely would be an easy way to cheat. You get the right gears, and that 300 would be a torquey little trail rider.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Its not cheating, its just called properly setting up your vehicle. ;)

primetime

sawmill slave
Throw a turbo at it.:) Then the ole 300 will have enough hooch!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you want all out "drag" performance then nothing beats cubic inches!

smiliepeelout

Well...you still need to be geared properly for that as well.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
^^^ Exactly. No matter what, the gearing is extremely important.

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
38.5s is a lot of tire for either engine with stock gears...my friend has a 95 F250 with a 351/ZF/4:10s and runs 40"s and its aqaquate but dogs a lot on hills.

Gotta weigh ur options here...first is there anything wrong with ur 300? Second is cost, to buy and at the very least freshen up n swap a 351 is gunna be like $1500-2000 depending how far u go into it. A gear swap will be at least $500-1000 depending if u add a traction aid and labor rates. Plus a gear swap will be less downtime and if u decide the 300 still isnt enough it opens the doors for a 351 later.

For gearing i would look for 4.88s at the least and maybe 5.13s if ur not gunna beat the snot out of it (5.13s has a really small pinion gear).

Ford Truck Articles