Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

300 six in a 50 F4??

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Anybody ever swap a 300 six in place of the stock 226? I've got a carbed 300 with a 4 spd trans sitting in the shed.

The 50 plow truck is going 12V and needs an alternator to make enuf juice to run the pump for the plow. Adapting the pulleys for narrow belt alternators seems to be a major hassle, unless I'm not looking at it right, so it's tempting to just swap everything.

Anybody ever do this swap? Crossmember mods? Does it fit? Clutch? Other things I'm not thinking about. Thanks!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
The 300 is long, I don't know if it will fit

I got wide belt pulleys to convert my farm tractors to 12 volts from P&H Electric in Baltimore Md.

There should be an electrical rebuilder in your area. If not, let me know, I'll get you some info

tinman52

Tin bender
Not sure if the 300 is longer, but it does have the manifolds on the same side as a plus. Front pan sump clearance? Will need driveshaft reworked....

BTW wide pulleys are available for most alternators. Check with Josh at the auto electric rebuild place on W center st. He has them...

If you don't use the 300/4 speed, I may be interested in buying it? If you want to sell...

havi

third member
I measured my 300 at 35.63" from bell mating surface to the front tip of the clutch fan.

from that other site:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks guys.

Looks like it's about 4" longer than the 226 OA. I could gain an inch at the firewall.

It might require a different radiator - that could be moved to the front on the rad support which would gain 2 or 3 inches.....

Scott, are you talking about the guy across from Cardinal Hardware? or the place closer to Joe's Radiator shop? A wide belt pulley on an alternator would be the least work.

The 300 came out of an 84 pickup - I don't know much about it's condition. I'll let you know if I decide not to use it.

havi

third member
Same guy I posted a picture of.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Sorry havi, but I don't see any kind of a picture in firefox

and in IE all I see is a red x in a box....?

Last edited:

havi

third member
hmm, strange. Ok then .... his '52 F3 build is on FTE as well as others. I posted a pic from his FTE gallery on here, of his 300 in the engine bay up next to the firewall.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts