Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

3/4 ton vs 1ton transfer case

Are these the same ? I have an 86 6.9 4wd parts truck with manual trans. Thinking 1ton axle under the 6.9.. wondering if this case can be used with the silid axle?
Thanks

primetime

sawmill slave
The T-case will be fine. The front driveshaft may have to be shortened because of the extra length of the D60, but other than that you`ll be fine. I did this swap on an 87 diesel with a 78 axle and didn`t mess with mine.

primetime

sawmill slave
Yup, you're good. I'm pretty sure all the Gen 7 trucks used the NP208, in the 90's is when they had a designated HD case I believe.

My 86 F-250 with the 460 and T-19 had a Borg Warner 13-45, but aside from that one, every other Gen 7 truck I`ve laid eyes on did have the 208.

Hmmm...someone told.me to stay away if its a np208.. lol... was told that if it has an hd d50 it.may have a 1345 t case...havnt confirmed yet... need to get to the parts truck to confirm
Thanks
P.S. my 2wd has the t19... I am assuming the f250 does as well.?

Last edited:

primetime

sawmill slave
I don`t think front axle had anything to do with what t-case you got in 86. Mine was an eight lug Dana 44 and it had the B-W 13-45. I think 86 was the change over year with 3/4 and one tons getting the B-W t-case and half tons having the NP 208. I can`t say for sure but I`ve laid eyes on both.

Well so car I have verified that it has. T19 webbing on t case tells me its a 13-45. And gvw is 8600 lbs...so.if I have read correctly that makes this f250 an HD and should have. D50??
Would the size of the front springs say anything...ghey seem to be 3" springs...some one told me I could tell by tbe size of the locking hub snout....not sure on this.one

Well judging by the gawr and size of tje front hub I am going to assume I have the d44the gvwr is 8600 lbs but front gavr is 3850

Another article I read maid mention you could also ID bythe style of yniversal clip on the axle whether they are internal or external

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts