Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2wd wheel bearings?

Okay guys, passenger front wheel bearing is done for one the 2wd Supercrew. A simple thought on these bearings design is that they are the most godawful thing I have ever dealt with.

I have on order, the integrated rotor/ hub assembly, and a new axle nut.

I havent taken this apart yet, but I see on Autozones website when I click "bearings" that there is an old school looking bearing on there. Is there another bearing in this contraption that doesnt come as part of the rotor? In other words, is there an inner and outer, with the rotor side being the outer? Thanks in advance.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Nope! 2 bearings with a snap ring. Ford says "non serviceable". Dont know about aftermarket.

Fellro

Staff member
The bearing I saw is a press in style. I would expect the bearing to actually be in the hub you ordered though. Near as I can tell looking at the pic, it does seem to have the bearing already installed, which I would expect. I don't work again until Thursday to be able to actually look at one, as it appears it should be in stock... You can get the bearing separate fro the hub assembly, but you have to press the old one out, and press the new one in.

I chose to order the part as I am going back to work tomorrow and won't be home for a week, so if you can take a peep at one I would appreciate it. I just don't want to get everything apart and put it back together broken because I need to order another part. The part I ordered said rotor and bearing assembly.

This is my wifes driver and I rarely drive it and noticed this issue this afternoon. She says she didn't notice any different noises, imagine that lol. Thanks for the help guys. Also, torque down to 296 ft lbs right?

Fellro

Staff member
If it said rotor and bearing, i am sure it has the bearing already in it. Being a press in on a removable part, they generally come predone. You would be amazed at how many people when I tell them the bearing has to be pressed out and then back in (Some Hondas. Saturns) ask if we have a press on our loaner program.... :headbang:

Holy moly. I WAS going to buy a 600 lb torque wrench, but saw the price and thought better of it. Any idea where one could be rented? lol

Okay, just finished. Apparently it was something I was scaring myself over because I have never dealt with it before. It was actually easier then my 2 piece Ram bearing.Its cheaper too, even with the sockets (2) I had to buy and the $20 nylon locking nut. I originally bought a regular 36mm socket, then read everywhere that a deep socket was needed, so I bought one of those too. I did the whole job with the regular socket, and had plenty of clearance. I will keep the deep socket though, in case it is needed for a different job or on a different vehicle.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts