Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

250 or 350 supercab home for my 6.9IDI

Hey all..
Still trying to take it all in.. Just picked up a 85 350 2wd 6.9 dual wheels.
I want to put this engine in a supercab 4x4 setup. Need the pass room.
So including the 350 I have a buddys 86 250 4x4 6.9 for parts.
So i could look for a 350 super cab or a 250 super cab I guess...I am thinking to keep things legit I should stay away from a 150 cab????
Just seems that I see more 150 supercabs in my area..
So I know that I want at least 3/4ton axles ,4x4 and supercab..
I know they say solid axle is better, may even plow in future...but i have the 3/4 ton ifs I could use...hmmmm
I know, just buy the truck already to rock...I could but I would like to see if I could pull it off doing the frankenstein thing on a budget considering I have a decent powerplant and the 250 4x4 set up on hand..
Start here for now I guess, still trying to figure out the best frame to pick for a transplant..
Basicly the supercabs seem to be not as available as the reg cabs..so i may have to settle for any variety of supercab, wich would mean extra work..
Thanks

Fellro

Staff member
They do put D44's under the 6.9 in standard cab 250's. You can use a cab from a 150, it is the frame and suspension that is the issue. I know of plenty of plow trucks that have the IFS under it and do fine. You likely will have to look a bit west to find the trucks you are looking for, not necessarily all the way out here, not real regular here either, but they are around. I wanted the same when I got the 86, but it was such a good runner, and with a fresh rebuild, and within a couple hundred or so of the extended cab I was looking at, I grabbed it. It also had the manual transmission I wanted, while the extended cab had an auto.Not so much of an issue these days for me, but I do plan to bring the old man's 84 back to it's former glory in the future.

Well I have come to the conclusion that. I need to stick in the 80-91 area to keep things kinda bolt on. Still unsure of the 87-91 thing. Wiring the older idi and such. Als clutch pedals between the two..
Found a 91. Tonivgt with a bad trans situation. 3/4 ton 4x4..
Could throw the dually rear and bed on it...
I heard today I could use the offset dually wheels on the d50 wich is what should be under the 250's?? Just have to swap hubs or knuckles? ?

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
If it is extended cab, then it should have a D50 on it, otherwise, not a guarantee. You would need to find D50 dually hubs. Wiring between the 7.3 up to 94.5 is very much the same as 83-86 6.9. Clutch pedals on the 87 -91 are different than the 83-86.

Good point on the clutch pedal..I am guessing going gen 9 is even worse with the elec speedo. Hmmmm.. I am guessing dash and column swaps are just as bad....guess that puts a limit n things..too bad, just found. Gen 9 through a friend of a friends bone yard.

Fellro

Staff member
Electric speedo is actually easy to deal with. It takes care of itself if you stay with the newer dash, but if you want a retrofit, it is a nuisance. You would need the transfer case from the older unit, and all would be fine. Dash swaps can be done, but is a lot of work.

Sorry for all the newb questions...so I am pretty sure the gen 9 is a two wheel drive..are you saying I can use the gen 9 cab and dash with the old 86 4x4 driveline?at least if I found a gen 7 I could just prettymuch swap plug and play.
Changing gens with 2wd setups of newer gen. Seems like its going to get me in trouble.
Found one on the local CL 86 f150 2wd . Not sure its with in reach just yet.the boneyard dealwould be more affordable.. hmmm
Actually tje more I think about it I am leaning towards. Same gen unless I find a 4x4 supercab.. too many things would be missing.

The idea is to work with what I have and that's the 86 6.9. 4x4 driveline.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Well, I am told and read regularly that the front axle mounts are all there to swap from 2wd to 4wd, but have never done it. I was not aware the one you were looking at was 2wd, or just didn't pay enough attention, one of the two... Anyway, if the rear axle is the same ratio as the 4wd, you could use the later dash. If not, then the older dash would have to be swapped in, which has been done. You won't be able to use the newer dash with the older chassis, as the speedo actually reads off the rear axle through the "abs sensor". Our parts books don't list a proper vss for 92 and newer, they show the trans speed sensor, which is wrong. The VSS and abs are one and the same after 92 model year. There is no provision for a speedo gear on 92 and newer transmissions and transfer cases. You can use 87-97 axles with the abs sensor to get the speedo back on 92 and newer.

Well, I am told and read regularly that the front axle mounts are all there to swap from 2wd to 4wd, but have never done it. I was not aware the one you were looking at was 2wd, or just didn't pay enough attention, one of the two... Anyway, if the rear axle is the same ratio as the 4wd, you could use the later dash. If not, then the older dash would have to be swapped in, which has been done. You won't be able to use the newer dash with the older chassis, as the speedo actually reads off the rear axle through the "abs sensor". Our parts books don't list a proper vss for 92 and newer, they show the trans speed sensor, which is wrong. The VSS and abs are one and the same after 92 model year. There is no provision for a speedo gear on 92 and newer transmissions and transfer cases. You can use 87-97 axles with the abs sensor to get the speedo back on 92 and newer.
Sorry Fellro, I probably didnt mention that...that one is a 2wd..Just checked into two 4wd potentials..one is a 89 no title . The other a 93 i think, but no interior..ughh.
So going on the gen 9 speedo thing, I guess I could always hunt a 250 down and there goes the speedo problem..
I guess it will depend on what pops up first that I think is worth the hassle.
this is narrowing my search too gen 6/7 i think

Well, I have backed off the mad search for now...I can find a handfull of cheaply priced gen 9 chasis/cab combos ..mostly part out situations...
anything older doesnt seem to be around my area at the moment..at least not in the form I want..
Guess I will just have to single cab it for now...

Fellro

Staff member
A tool box in the bed helps some by taking pressure off of things in the cab, depending on how you need to use the box. It depends how much you need the extra space for passengers. I thought the same, but in the end, haven't needed as much generally for passengers as I had thought. Turns out I go in the truck more on my own generally...

A tool box in the bed helps some by taking pressure off of things in the cab, depending on how you need to use the box. It depends how much you need the extra space for passengers. I thought the same, but in the end, haven't needed as much generally for passengers as I had thought. Turns out I go in the truck more on my own generally...

Ya , its more a passenger thing..There is 4 in my young family..Was trying to do the frankenstein thing and end up with a extra cab 4wd situation on the cheap and be a little beefier than my 1/2 ton...this was only because of the 86 2504wd idi parts truck and the 350 i just fell into..oh well

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts