Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2008 f150 tranny/torque converter issue

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
39,000 miles

4.6 auto 4x4 super crew. If you turn the overdrive off, everything seem normal. with overdrive on, after the transmission has shifted and torque converter locked, when you try to accellerate, the tach climbs up but the truck doesn't change speed...if you press harder and get the trans to downshift, everything works fine until it shifts into high again...almost seems like the torque converter is having issues.

Fluid is full and looks fine, doesn't smell burnt.

I realize it will be under warranty, just wondering how big of a problem this really is.

blacksnapon

Staff member
39,000 miles

4.6 auto 4x4 super crew. If you turn the overdrive off, everything seem normal. with overdrive on, after the transmission has shifted and torque converter locked, when you try to accellerate, the tach climbs up but the truck doesn't change speed...if you press harder and get the trans to downshift, everything works fine until it shifts into high again...almost seems like the torque converter is having issues.

Fluid is full and looks fine, doesn't smell burnt.

I realize it will be under warranty, just wondering how big of a problem this really is.
Chances are they'll be looking at the overdrive band or corresponding drum (if I remember correctly, reverse drum)

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
got my truck back today. The direct clutches were bad, works great now...just concerned on how it could fail at less than 40,000 miles, never towed anything, all highway miles.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts