Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2008 Explorer XLT 2WD 4.0 Stops Shifting

Hello,

I bought the truck with about 35k miles.

Around 90k i noticed very hard jolting when shifting from park to reverse.

I just crossed over 100k and these problems joined in...

Slight jolts between 1st-2nd-3rd gears.

9 out of 10 times that I get it up to 45 mph, the rpms skyrocket and the truck starts to deccelerate.

Sometimes letting of the gas for a few seconds and trying again will work, but usually im 3rd gearing it at 35 mph all the way home.

I noticed if I turned o/d off, the latter issue does not happen as much.

There are NO flashing O/D lights as Ive read about. NO check engine light. The wrench tool light came on once for about a minute one time. I pulled over, shut it off for 5 minutes and resumed home without any lights.

I drained the fluid, took out the solenoid black. It looked fine, for whatever that's not worth....I checked the connector for water intrustion, everything looked fine there.

Any other ideas? Because my next thought was to go shell out $450 to ford for a new solenoid block?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hello,

I bought the truck with about 35k miles.

Around 90k i noticed very hard jolting when shifting from park to reverse.

I just crossed over 100k and these problems joined in...

Slight jolts between 1st-2nd-3rd gears.

9 out of 10 times that I get it up to 45 mph, the rpms skyrocket and the truck starts to deccelerate.

Sometimes letting of the gas for a few seconds and trying again will work, but usually im 3rd gearing it at 35 mph all the way home.

I noticed if I turned o/d off, the latter issue does not happen as much.

There are NO flashing O/D lights as Ive read about. NO check engine light. The wrench tool light came on once for about a minute one time. I pulled over, shut it off for 5 minutes and resumed home without any lights.

I drained the fluid, took out the solenoid black. It looked fine, for whatever that's not worth....I checked the connector for water intrustion, everything looked fine there.

Any other ideas? Because my next thought was to go shell out $450 to ford for a new solenoid block?
Around 45 mph is where the converter locks up (would tell me a solenoid). OD is somewhat tied in with converter operation (again solenoid). Harsh shifting could be line pressure (solenoid). Mechanical failures generally dont correct themselves by shutting down and restarting. Without pressure checks and electronics diagnostics, it wont be easy to find the problem.

Transmission Failure

Sorry to break the news, is sounds like your transmission is failing. There are factory flaws in this transmission. Apparently its not unusal for them to fail between 50K and 100K.

I have an 08 Mountaineer 4.0 AWD with 85K. Mine is doing the same thing (although) not quite as bad. I'm having my transmission completely rebuilt this week. The shop should update the software and replace virtually everything with a combination of factory parts and upgraded aftermarket parts to correct the factory defects.

$2,650 Ouch!

Hopefully, I won't see these problems again. I'll let you know how it went, when I get it back on Friday.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts