Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2002 F-150 Rear Axle Diagram/breakdown?

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Oh gawd.... there's a story here.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Well, not a too interesting story as of yet,
but while at my brothers this weekend building a fire pit:
1.jpg

We used my truck to move all the blocks n bricks. While working on the level first layer, i noticed this on my truck:
2.jpg

So I asked what he thought it was and he's leaning towards a seal, and he is curious of the breakdown of the axle to see how much of a bother it'll be.
How hard of a fix is the seal, and what all should be done to the axle if one seal is being replaced?

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Thats a fancy pit...
As for the axle, you know what it is off hand?

Thanks, whatcha don't see is the two rail road tie benches on each side of it, it was all free, cause it was stuff that was already at the house they bought.

As for the axle, tag reads:
V 919 A
3L55 9 75 1L01

Which is the 3.55 limited slip 9.75 inch axle. Since it's a 5.4 and H9 axle, it makes sense that it's that size and a limited slip. Hope this may help.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Dustin I missed this. This is VERY common for our trucks. the 9.75 outer seal is ok from the factory, but not that great. as long as it is still leaking you have fluid LOL. Mine has been leaking for a while but when I get the SAS swap and re gear the rearend i will address.

As for the teardown, I would go to your local Ford dealer. Usually they will give you an exploded view of it.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Dustin I missed this. This is VERY common for our trucks. the 9.75 outer seal is ok from the factory, but not that great. as long as it is still leaking you have fluid LOL. Mine has been leaking for a while but when I get the SAS swap and re gear the rearend i will address.

As for the teardown, I would go to your local Ford dealer. Usually they will give you an exploded view of it.

Alright, i figured it was common, and it's alright Doc, we all get busy! LMAO, well when it runs out, i guess i won't have a leak.....well that won't be the problem at least! :hammer: I guess I'll just check fluid and go from there on it, think the rear end needs some upgrade over the LS from the factory, lol.

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
Aint it just the wheel bearin wore out? If so thats a easy fix......

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I never tore mine down to mess with it yet! LOL just keep makin sure she IS leakin and never have to worry about it! HAHA

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
i put a wheel bearin in mine and it was a peice of cake......go to autozone and get there bearin puller or u will never get it out.....u pull yer axle and put the puller in there and its like a slide hammer and it pulls it right out.......the old stock one is 2 peices , and the new one is one peice.......

it only takes bout 30 min to do

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts