Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2002 5.4 Either spit a plug or came loose......HELP?!?!?

blacksnapon

Staff member
he decided to stay away from he thinks it sounds like the modular engine is just a bad apple. way to try to cut costs ford.
By any chance do you drive a Prius? You just sound like one of the Nissan/Toyota kind of people.

rambler

New Shoes......
my 2000 superduty had this issue twice... I had the dealer fix it the first time, and then did the second one ( a different cylinder) myself with a little advice from the board.. see my posts in the module engine section..

hope you got it running..

Nope, not really a brand specific person here, I have had everything. but my GM i currently own has treated me just fine All of you people that bleed ford are exactly the same, cannot accept when they actually do circle the problem.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
$160 in labor, $92 on a coil, $4, 7 more to go=priceless. She'll be running, but gonna have Midway see what they can get me into so I don't have to deal with this issue again on this 5.4. May take a while but gonna drive it the bare minimal, and save for another down payment. When in college, reliability is my biggest concern. Sucks being at my apartment bumming rides to get anything that's not on campus. I've talked this over with my brother, friends, and the rest of the family, and came to the same general conclusion.

he decided to stay away from he thinks it sounds like the modular engine is just a bad apple. way to try to cut costs ford.

The modular is far from a bad apple sure some particular models may have a problem that pops up in some cases but the modulars are work horses that will go the distance. If these were such bad engines then why do so many police cars have them under their hoods? As I see it one of the best torture test for an engine is the 24 of Lemons in which teams buy cars for under $500USD and race them, in the series the Ford Modular engines are regarded as some of the best power plants.

Now on to you, from reading your other posts it looks like you joined the site to see about the reliability of the said engines since your friend was looking at buying a truck with one. All you have done here is bash the modulars, without even to my knowledge making a thread on the reliability of the modular. In my eyes you have been a troll.

As for your GM, how about that Iron Duke?:rofl:

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, Dustin.... We have a 5.4 powered Expedition with 91,xxx miles on it and have only replaced one coil at less than half the $ (Napa) that you paid at Ford. It's also never spit a plug. At work we have several 5.4 powered Superduties, some have 10,000 hrs. with over 200,000 miles on them.

This is one of them I drove a few weeks ago for several days. It burns no oil and drives out and shifts good....I can promise you it hasn't seen any love like a privately owned truck would...

100_2460Medium.jpg

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, Dustin.... We have a 5.4 powered Expedition with 91,xxx miles on it and have only replaced one coil at less than half the $ (Napa) that you paid at Ford. It's also never spit a plug. At work we have several 5.4 powered Superduties, some have 10,000 hrs. with over 200,000 miles on them.

This is one of them I drove a few weeks ago for several days. It burns no oil and drives out and shifts good....I can promise you it hasn't seen any love like a privately owned truck would...

100_2460Medium.jpg

That's a lot of miles on the Superduties. I guess I got burned on this truck when I got it from Long McArthur because of the extremely bad financing experience and after a month, there were no calls or letters from them. I paid Midway the money for the coil because I don't have a place to work on it, and it's the closest Ford/Chevy dealership and the price quoted and done wasn't too bad. Just seems like this trucks been bad luck since I traded off my 99 for it from financing til now. That dealership kind of screwed me to put it nicely looking back now. Just was a really bad start to a Thanksgiving weekend.

Ohhhhh boy, the Joy of Long Mac I almost bought a truck from there, but they just left a bad taste in my mouth after a couple visits.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
We've been doing quite a few out of town jobs (Abilene TX, Baton Rouge LA) and he's been driving a bunch. Last Wed. I just happened to ask him how many miles he had...

Like I said before, I'm so sorry for your bad experience. With you going to college and all you just don't need all of that aggravation too.

If you cant make it up there to pick it up this weekend I might be headed up to the LBK the fallowing week, i need to stop at The Yard on the way back.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
If you cant make it up there to pick it up this weekend I might be headed up to the LBK the fallowing week, i need to stop at The Yard on the way back.

Aight, well my brother gets off work in bout 15 mins, so we'll see what he says, he called last night to see what the word was on it. The shop said it should be out by the end of the day, just the tool and spark plug hole weren't exactly cooperating. Need to find a ride to get cigs.

We've been doing quite a few out of town jobs (Abilene TX, Baton Rouge LA) and he's been driving a bunch. Last Wed. I just happened to ask him how many miles he had...

Like I said before, I'm so sorry for your bad experience. With you going to college and all you just don't need all of that aggravation too.

It's the second to last week, gotta get two 93%'s (exam 4 and final) in Statics to pass with a C, other classes I got A's and one B, so college is tough right now, ran out of cigs today, and trucks in McPherson. :headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Nope, not really a brand specific person here, I have had everything. but my GM i currently own has treated me just fine All of you people that bleed ford are exactly the same, cannot accept when they actually do circle the problem.
What kind of gm do you have? One of the camshaft lobe eating 305s or 307s? How about one of the unintentional airbag deploying ones when the interior gets wet? After working at a GM dealership I was privvy to some rather embarrassing recalls and tsbs. Dont think for a minute that GM doesn't have its share of dumb problems. Yes, I bleed Ford blue, always have, always will!

I never once said GMs didnt have problems all of them do, i bought a dodge pickup once because my uncles had over 250000 on it, my tranny went out at 45k then the dealer tried shafting me over sayin they put a reman in, when it was obviously the same transmission, after some hard weeks, i got my money out of it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts