Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2 big problems in one day??

you've gotta be kidding me :( assuming that you've read my previous post about my fuel problem i now have a second issue with my 79 ford. while riding around with my wife through town i hear a series of bangs from a piece of metal bouncing on the ground. i look in my mirror and i see a huge piece of steel laying in the middle of the street. i turn on the 4ways back up and straddle this hunk of steel and get out and pick it up. my wife tells me i ran it over and i told her no i didnt because it wasnt there a minute ago and we were the only car on the street at the time. so i take the metal toss it in the bed and figure it must have came from my truck so go to a gas station and with a flashlight start looking under my truck to determine where this thing came from. i couldn't find squat so i look at the metal again and realize it's "bent" and i start thinking about bent parts on the truck and i look at the rear leaf springs and to my horror one of my left rear leafs broke in half and fell off!!i look at my busted leaf and notice that it wasnt a fresh break and realized that it must have been broken for a while and just finally fell out. i couldnt tell it was broke when i inspected the truck before i bought it and i cant haul with it due to the fact that it has antique tags on it so i guess it just worked its way loose and fell out(thank god it didnt blow one of my tires and that no one was behind me when this happened) so im currently looking into replacing both sets of rear leaf springs on the rear of the truck how ever i cant seem to find any. the local junk yards dont have any trucks this old and i couldnt find squat on the websites for advance,auto zone,jc whitney or lmc truck. so does anyone know of a good source to purchase these from at a reasonable price. the broken spring doesnt seem to affect the drivability any but i would feel much safer having new one installed so that this wont happen again. also what year f250s are interchangeable with mine? so that i may have better luck finding a good replacement set. im also planning on replacing the shackles at the same time but all i find are the drop shackles. im looking to retain my trucks factory set up if possible. again sorry for the length of this and any and all help is greatly appreciated. thanks again,bill

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
National Parts Depot(NPD) has a pretty comprehensive list of springs in their catalog. Might also try Mac's Antique Auto Parts.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm using Standens here for a new set, made to factory specs...you might want to check locally. I had a 79 Bronco that did the same thing, I'd look at new ones over used ones as any way you cut it, they are 35 years+ old.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts