Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1991 ford f250 break down

Hey guys I have a 91 f250 4x4 351 windsor efi and I was hauling a trailor with a scissor lift which is not that heavy and I've done many times well everything was going fine running normal then all of a sudden just stops I pulled off the side of the road and when I'd start it it was idling way lower then normal and when I would try to take off in first it would die and doesn't idle on it's own like it's starving for fuel but there's a new sound under the hood on the passenger side almost like a knock but not quiet I was thinking maybe bad gas since I was low and just gassed up or maybe a fuel filter because the throttle response is horrible and if I push it to the floor it dies I was thinken maybe the throttle body was starving for fuel cause that's really where the sound was coming from I checked all hoses and they were all good what do you guys think before I tear into this thing

This might sound crazy but I almost did this one myself. Did you happen to fill up with diesel?

Nope lol I dropped the gas tank and the gas that came out was god awful smelling and I got it somewhere I never go but I put 5 gal in my front tank and started it up same thing has like no throttle response would fouled plugs make it do this I'm about to check them but it's still seems to be starving for gas barely keeping it's self alive while idling I used the old broom handle trick because it's maken a knocken sounds by the throttle body but I didn't hear anything knocken it just sounds like air/starving for fuel but kind of like a knock I heard what sounded like a bearing in the motor with the wood trick but it sounded like when you check a bearing to see if it spins good and it's perfect but even if it was a bearing it should still have throttle response

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did you pull the plugs?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That might give you a place to start the investigation

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Check the plugs like Duncan advised.

You could be dealing with any number of things, each system (spark, fuel, or air) could be throwing you a curve ball.

Is your check engine light on? Do you have any codes you can pull?

Not having enough spark could do this, not having enough fuel could do this.

Ryan

Checked the plugs and their pretty shitty so I'm gonna replace plugs and wires so bad plugs will make it seem like it's starving for fuel and when I give it gas it's like it floods it or sumthen try's to die

So yesterday pulled egr cleaned it pcv valve cleaned it TPS cleaned it throttle body cleaned it pulled plugs they were rusted bad even had one snap off thank god i got it out had a few of them little plastic lines broke so fixed them

Attachments

• image-2311498759.jpg
Also the one closest to firewall on passenger side was the only one I didn't need a cheater bar to get it out it was loose and the wire had a hole in it

Changed plugs and wires and cleaned everything changed oil and filter was no metal shavings in the motor so I'm guessing i may luck out on it being anything internal

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have you checked the air filter as well?

Put more gas in it it fired up but dogfish and draining my battery like crazy have to keep a charger on it while trying this would a bad intake gasket cause this

It sets at about 500 rpm idling chugging to stay alive then dies when it usually idles at 1500-2000 rpm I replaced the tps to try and fix that once before but it didn't while idling if I press the gas it either dies or has no effect whatsoever

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts