Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1990 f250

Hey everyone. I'm looking at buying an 1990 F250 with a 351 in it. They have taken the fuel injection out and replaced it with a Holly 4bbl carb.
I was wondering if this would cause any issues? Is this common? Should I avoid this truck because of this? I'm guessing it has about 150,000 miles on it. The car lot dealer wasn't sure.

Thanks,
idcwby

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I'm wondering why they swapped out a injected engine to a carb?
As much as I like carbed engines I wouldn't rip out fuel injection unless of major problems.

I'm wondering why they swapped out a injected engine to a carb?
As much as I like carbed engines I wouldn't rip out fuel injection unless of major problems.

After talking to the dealer some more. I was informed that the fuel injection was removed and the carb was installed, trying to make it some sort of "hot rod," but the person ran out of money to spend on it and could never get the holly tuned correctly.

idcwby

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
There's probably nothing "wrong" with it, but it's going to get worse fuel mileage.

I presume it's a C6 transmission, or something not electronically controlled. Usually it's not so easy where you can just rip off the fuel injection, because the transmission uses things like the TPS to do the shifting.

So... Unless the truck is cherry or desirable for a specific reason, maybe this one should be avoided. Sounds like a hack job.

Ryan

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
There's probably nothing "wrong" with it, but it's going to get worse fuel mileage.

I presume it's a C6 transmission, or something not electronically controlled. Usually it's not so easy where you can just rip off the fuel injection, because the transmission uses things like the TPS to do the shifting.

So... Unless the truck is cherry or desirable for a specific reason, maybe this one should be avoided. Sounds like a hack job.

Ryan

smilieIagree

Ryan

Its got a manual 5 speed in it, which is one of the reasons it peaked my interest. I was going to get it for hauling a trailer and sidexside. Is the fuel mileage going to be lower mainly because of the carb?

Thanks,
idcwby

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Its got a manual 5 speed in it, which is one of the reasons it peaked my interest. I was going to get it for hauling a trailer and sidexside. Is the fuel mileage going to be lower mainly because of the carb?

Thanks,
idcwby

Yes, the carb is just a little less efficient. Not that 1990 fuel injection is amazing, but it's better than the carb.

Ryan

Even with the carb I should still be in the 15mpg ballpark? Would pulling the fuel injection affect the air conditioner, cause when I test drove it, it didn't want to work? I'm still very interested in this pickup because the price in its real good, so I'm trying to learn as much I can before I make a decision.

Thanks
idcwby

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
My '89 F-250 with 460 gets 8 mpg on a really good day. I've gotten as low as 3 mpg towing a 30' trailer from 3200 ft to 8000 ft.

Fellro

Staff member
The W in the 88 with functioning injection gets about 10 with the 5 speed and 4x4...

I won't say it is impossible to get that with a carb, as I have seen it. I have seen better injection systems than mine, but it also has a lot of miles on it. There are way too many variables to say for certain one way or another.

The a/c may or may not be integrated with the computer, but there is a fair chance it is as the idle speed changes when the a/c is on. It is also possible it is just discharged as the a/c on those trucks were pretty simple for the most part.

Fellro

Staff member
Slave cylinder... It is an internal and requires dropping the trans to replace it. I have to do that on mine when I get the chance, and the 89 I had in the past also had the same problem. TFI module can be iffy at times, but is a minor detail in the big picture, and likely is gone if they removed the engine control system.

Slave cylinder... It is an internal and requires dropping the trans to replace it. I have to do that on mine when I get the chance, and the 89 I had in the past also had the same problem. TFI module can be iffy at times, but is a minor detail in the big picture, and likely is gone if they removed the engine control system.

Thanks

idcwby

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts