Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1989 f150 302 swap, air pump removal

89classic

89classic
has any one removed the air pump from the 302; wil it mess up the o2 sensors. Also , the pulley belt will need to b edifferent, but i was thinking of removing the Ac pump anyways.

some previous owner cut the lead to the first o2 sensor, was that a work around for a common problem?

any thoughts appreciated thanks

if you want to remove the smog pump and still re use the same belt, you can get a smog elimator bracket for a 86-93 5.0L mustang. there the excact same bracket for ford trucks and mustangs.

Im not to sure how you would loose milage from doing that. You emmisions may get worse- but not milage. IRCC it injects air after the o2, and before the cat.

If you remove your smog pump, you also have to pinch or weld the tube shut that connects it to your exhaust, and also pinch or weld the tube that connects both cylinder heads together... its at the back of the head. or you will have a exhaust leak

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Removing the air pump will net 0 HP, and decrease fuel mileage. Unless froze up, i would leave it alone.

Im curious how it will net 0 power?

I can see how mileage may go down, with a complete factory setup...
But if the belt is turning one less acccesory then thats more power its putting to the ground. Why is it you dont dyno a car with the ac running? same reason.

I agree, theoretically you should have more power with out it. I have no experience taking one off though. I would think a large part of the increase power would come from not pumping unnecessary air into the exhaust. Reducing back pressure similarly to putting a larger exhaust on.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts