Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1987 F350 with a 460?

I run with scissors.

I'm thinking of buying an '87 F350 that has a 460 and 4 speed manual transmission. It's a 2wd regular cab dual rear wheels, unknown gear ratio.

From what I've read the engine is rated at 220hp and 360ft lbs of torque, which is far from impressive to me. What can be done to help this poor thing out? Straight up timing? What else? How much can I expect to gain?

My 5.7 Chevy motor has more power than this 460. I want to buy something else to use as a work truck and trailer puller, but not if it has less power than my SBC :(

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

I'm thinking of buying an '87 F350 that has a 460 and 4 speed manual transmission. It's a 2wd regular cab dual rear wheels, unknown gear ratio.

From what I've read the engine is rated at 220hp and 360ft lbs of torque, which is far from impressive to me. What can be done to help this poor thing out? Straight up timing? What else? How much can I expect to gain?

My 5.7 Chevy motor has more power than this 460. I want to buy something else to use as a work truck and trailer puller, but not if it has less power than my SBC :( .

There is more to TQ & HP numbers than just the number, for pulling you need to know where the TQ curve is. You want the TQ to be in the low rpm range.

As far as boosting power, IIRC on the later engines straight up timing will not gain you much but you can try. If you really want more HP & TQ you are going to need to change the cam & heads or you can put a turbo or blower on it.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
its a big rotating mass. Will get job done. And 10 MPG on a good day . But they pull well , the 460 and manual good combo. But not highway trans .

Good luck

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
There is more to TQ & HP numbers than just the number, for pulling you need to know where the TQ curve is. You want the TQ to be in the low rpm range.

As far as boosting power, IIRC on the later engines straight up timing will not gain you much but you can try. If you really want more HP & TQ you are going to need to change the cam & heads or you can put a turbo or blower on it.

smiliewhathesaid Nothing made in that era put out any power.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
smiliewhathesaid Nothing made in that era put out any power.

We can thank the Envirogeeks for that train wreck, late 70's all through the 80's gas motors were crap. Now because no one reads history & no good deed goes unpunished we get to relive that train wreck through the "new tree hugger improved" diesel engines :headbang: :hammer:

primetime

sawmill slave
A cam and an intake are the single biggest improvements you can do to a 460. The cams are more suited to Lincolns. 460s have weak valve springs though and will float the valves as early as 4000 rpm with an aftermarket stick. Dual exhaust and a 750 Holley really woke up a 86 that I used to have. For what it`s worth, the po of that 86 said it pulled just as well as his 95 Powerstroke.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts