Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1986 supercab

It's cold out and the truck doesn't fit inside. I'm also turning into a wimp when it comes to wrenching in the cold. Here is progress so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20160320_164902728.jpg
  • IMG_20160320_164943403.jpg
Iv been thinking about it, I can't drop an engine in tha t is supposed to be good and unheard.. I picked up complete gasket/ seal kit, ordered new oil pump, ordered new water pump, picked up new double roller timing set, I'm sure this engine is good, the guy I got it from is reputable, but it is going to be piece of mind for me knowing it is clean and inspected. I'll have a look at the journals and bottom end while the pan is off

Also not putting in the high output 351. It needs a total rebuild and needs some machine work. Crank will need to be turned , cylinders need a .030 bore and the block will need to be tanked. Here is a ugly surprise

Attachments

• IMG_20160325_210102025.jpg
  • IMG_20160325_210122661.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yummy...and I didn't figure NS for being that Commie....bummer.

So IV got enough parts between 3 engines to assemble one. The heads off the high output engine , distributor, intake and carb, a short block efi that is fairly fresh, and a few odds and ends from another 351w, valve covers, oil pump drive, the oil sump, should go together very quickly now. The dipstick and tube from the 302 will be used, IV got A new 351w flywheel here too. Think I got everything I need

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Sometimes I wish I just rebuilt my 351W like you're doing. I was just going to put on a Edlebrock 4 barrel intake and carb when the motor blew. Here's a pic just before she retired.
wires_003.jpg

Sometimes I wish I just rebuilt my 351W like you're doing. I was just going to put on a Edlebrock 4 barrel intake and carb when the motor blew. Here's a pic just before she retired.
wires_003.jpg

Lots of shiny there, mine will still look all rusty and stuff when I put it back in. The efi engine I have was rebuilt about 15 or 20 years ago and has around 5000kms on it. It sat around and the truck it was installed into was too rotten to repair so I pulled it out and it's been sitting in the garage for about 12 years. I'm going to reseal, regasket the whole thing. The reason I'm going with the other heads is because of so many broken studs, the studs rot because of the corrosion of disimiliar metals (alumn and iron) even the alumn efi intake was rotten. It's a Hodge podge of of stuff but should work.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
wires_003.jpg

Sad Panda!

Amkatt1, your pic of the engine has prompted me to paint mine before install.

So IV made some progress, I have the heads off the 351 high output cleaned, they are e5ae castings , the efi 351 I have had e7. They have several broken bolts in the intake, the rear exhaust cross tube, front accessorie studs are broken , and I'll have to drill all the intake bolts out, IV tried welding to them but the bolts are just too rotten. Performance gain from the e7 won't be worth my time and effort.
IV cleaned up the exhaust port of the e5 heads , got rid of the big thermactor bump, some minor blending, no work done on the intake side, new valve seals installed and exhaust retainers and springs swapped for intake springs and retainers on exhaust valves to allow for my cam choice.
The cam and lifters were nfg , I wasn't going to check but I pulled a few lifters out of the efi engine and they were all dished. So I upgraded to a torque cam with good torque numbers except for the LSA is different from what you would typically see in a torque cam. The cam I ordered is a Melling MTF 5. I'm kinda curious to see how it is going to work . here are the specs, identical to the MTF 1 except for the Mtf 1 has 112 LSA and the MTF 5 has LSA of 107

So IV made some progress, I have the heads off the 351 high output cleaned, they are e5ae castings , the efi 351 I have had e7. They have several broken bolts in the intake, the rear exhaust cross tube, front accessorie studs are broken , and I'll have to drill all the intake bolts out, IV tried welding to them but the bolts are just too rotten. Performance gain from the e7 won't be worth my time and effort.
IV cleaned up the exhaust port of the e5 heads , got rid of the big thermactor bump, some minor blending, no work done on the intake side, new valve seals installed and exhaust retainers and springs swapped for intake springs and retainers on exhaust valves to allow for my cam choice.
The cam and lifters were nfg , I wasn't going to check but I pulled a few lifters out of the efi engine and they were all dished. So I upgraded to a torque cam with good torque numbers except for the LSA is different from what you would typically see in a torque cam. The cam I ordered is a Melling MTF 5. I'm kinda curious to see how it is going to work . here are the specs, identical to the MTF 1 except for the Mtf 1 has 112 LSA and the MTF 5 has LSA of 107Basic

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 204 int./214 exh.

Advertised Duration: 280 int./290 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.448 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.472 in.

Lobe Separation (degrees): 107

Still waiting for the cam to arrive. In the meantime IV been looking at the transfer cases I have around here and the np208 that is in the truck. IV wanted to do a doubler for a long time now.
I pulled a driveshaft out of one of the parts trucks I had here to sell to a fellow, and while it was out I looked at the splines. 31 spline output on the slip of the Borg Warner t-case. The transfer case is also 31 spline input. That got me thinking . so a bit of research with Google and it can be done. Going to be way cheaper then going with my original plan of 203/205. IV got 4 working transfer cases here, one bw with the slip shaft, a np208 in my truck now, a 1988 transfer case, that should be a bw but it has a fixed yolk, and a np205. My plan is to pull the bw with the slip from parts truck, cut the 4wd drop and output off, then cap it. Then build a spacer to mate up to the NP 208 that is currently in my truck, build a cradle to tie the trans, bw planetary section and the np208 together nice and solid and have 1 central mount so it won't tear it self apart with chassis twist. Not going to happen over night, I'm really tight right now for time but I'm going to start mocking all this up with a np435 and the other cases I have in the parts trucks, that way I will have the cradle all built and just have to install a new cross member for the central mount. Yes it will be long, but the truck is longbox supercab , I have lots of room to work with.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds pretty cool...please post up progress and pics!

Pulled some dents today, getting ready for some rust repair. Easier to fix rust with somewhat straight sheet metal. Not perfect, but it is good enough for this truck, small dents and riples don't bother me and wont affect the function of the truck.

Ready to weld driver side cab skin, then I'll build a new drop panel behind once the skin is on. It started to rain so progress is at a hault. I used the bottom boxsides from a different truck for the rocker skin on the driver side. The corner can be fixed . I'll have to pick up a new cab corner for the pass side and the rest will be box side from the parts truck

Attachments

• IMG_20150830_184910891.jpg
  • IMG_20160423_164312680.jpg
  • IMG_20160423_164407257.jpg
  • IMG_20150830_184938591.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts