Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1986 F150 help

for starters the truck 1986 4x4 F150 w/carb 351W & c6
DSCF6373-1.jpg

was bought from my military bud's wife after he got hurt in Iraq so I do not really want to get rid of it but I do need a truck to tow my fj40 to go rock crawling. and do not have that much time or money to put in it. SO!

1. it starts good runs good but only idles for a little while then quits is this just a mater of rebuilding the carb?

2. can I swap in a aod tranny with out to much modification. ( not that I can't or am scared see -built thread below- I do not have the time.)

just to add I forgot to put in it has headers and a K&N replacement filter. do not know what else has mean done to the motor. I only drive it on the weekends to run to the depot. and haul the atv arowned right know when the land cruiser gets done I'll hall it around too.

I've been working on it today and it idled fine today but usually when cold it idles ok then it kind of idles down and stalls out. cheked the choke it seems to be open ing and closing.
I put a vacuum gauge on it it stays around 10 drops to 5 under throttle. sprayed carb. cleaner around the vac hoses did not find a vac leak.

thanks truckin4life probably need to get a lockup converter too.

I'm contemplating selling it and getting a slightly newer gen8 extended cab F250 seance the trucks primary duty is towing/hauling.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Yeah I"d say get a 2504x4 350s are fine but kinda needles unless your doing allot of hauling and towing, a 250 should fit all your needs.

Fellro

Staff member
Check the pcv and the egr. I have seen egr valves stick open. Soak the inside with WD-40, seems to dissolve the dry carbon in there, better than carb cleaner.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
What does the FJ weigh?

AOD is generally considered a step down from the C6 in durability, and if you're pulling anything heavy, I'd think you're better off sticking with the C-6, or swapping to a manual with OD (ZF-5).

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Ian brings a good point, the aod is not a big towing tranny... It can be built to tow with, but not factory...

Zf swap would be sweet, but it would probably be best to buy a 250 with a zf. Find a 94ish 250HD...
Will pull anything..
I know i have one... :D

I've found a 89 f250 with a 351 auto for $1500. newer ones have the same milage and $500-$800 more. I found a 97 for $2000 with 225000 mi. thay sey the tranny and 351 was overhaled 80000 mi ago.

i'll be towing my cruiser will be arowed 3000-4000 pounds

I've found a 89 f250 with a 351 auto for $1500. newer ones have the same milage and $500-$800 more. I found a 97 for $2000 with 225000 mi. thay sey the tranny and 351 was overhaled 80000 mi ago.

i'll be towing my cruiser will be arowed 3000-4000 pounds

First off, sorry about your bud getting hurt, thats really too bad.

Now, 3000-4000lbs does not need anything special to tow it. Now on a trailer it might be 5000-5500 which starts to not be fun with an F150 but still doable. An F250 sounds like it would suit your needs well, and keep in mind the amount of miles on the truck are indicative of how much use remains in it as well. If you buy a truck with 225,000mi on it, you can be sure that the lifetime still in it is shorter than a 120,000mi truck. :)

Good luck anyways.

Ford Truck Articles