Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1986 5.8 flywheel question.

Well, i have just got on a trade a 1986 f150 4x4 351w auto this past weekend. The po said that in the past year he has put 5 starters on it. I have since removed the trans and flywheel and found that it was pretty ate up. Is there problems with these flywheels warping? Just wondering why it could have been so messed up. I have ordered a flywheel and going to put it back together this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Check the length of the starter nose cone. I had several starters on my 86 5.0 that didn't contact the ring gear far enough. Finally I convinced my local NAPA guys to check several starters and found the nose cones can vary 1/4". I also always get the top grade electrical parts - they're worth it in the long run.

Might be worth looking into before you chew up another flex-plate.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I don't - sorry.... it was several years ago when I made that discovery. Just go with the longest one you can find.

i got the flywheel installed yesterday, and put the starter in it. it works great now. After driving it around found that when in drive it dont shift gears. I can put in manual 1 and shift to 2 and it does have both of those gears, but when i go to D it dont change, just starts slipping. Any suggestions. the fuild is full and clean, dont smell burnt, the kick down and modulator are hooked up. what can i do short of a tear down? it might help to say it's a C6.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i got the flywheel installed yesterday, and put the starter in it. it works great now. After driving it around found that when in drive it dont shift gears. I can put in manual 1 and shift to 2 and it does have both of those gears, but when i go to D it dont change, just starts slipping. Any suggestions. the fuild is full and clean, dont smell burnt, the kick down and modulator are hooked up. what can i do short of a tear down? it might help to say it's a C6.

its one or 2 things. a bad vacuum connection to the modulator valve or a bad modulator valve. when you floor it does the truck begin to smoke slightly like white smoke? if it is then the modulator valve is bad and its letting tranny fluid get into the intake which then burns off thus the white smoke. my white 88 did this. and if it is the modulator valve make sure you get the right one. there are 2 different ones. one for the Car C6 and one for the Truck C6.

sounds like what i was thinking about. i am going to look at it when i get a chance. Not sure if there is fuild getting burnt or if the valve is just bad. But gonna take a look at it. Probley will just buy one and when i get to look at the truck i will just put the new one on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts