Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1978 crewcab build

Figured I would start an official build thread on the crew. The front clip has been removed and disassembled and I decided to remove the top end of the 460 that had been transplanted into who knows how long ago and as I suspected it is a reman. All cylinders are rusted up and No. one cylinder lost a valve, and by lost a valve I mean there is no end to close the hole in the head it is gone and the piston is beat up bad and it is .060 over to boot. So now I am at the point, do I put a big block back into it or try and install the 1999 7.3 powerstroke into it ? I like the powerstroke idea but I refuse to make any major modifications to the fire wall, so I may just test fit one in there to see how tight it will be seeing as I have four of them and one is a bare block. I will post some pics of the 460 and the beat up piston.:headbang:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Waiting for pics..

But as far as the power stroke goes it'll take a crap ton to get it in your truck and running.. Basically a complete donor truck..

Go find a 460 and rebuild it..

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Personally, I'd find a 12v/NV4500 over the PSD. I love the Stroke but the Cummins is a better choice IMO.

Then give me the 460 :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The 460 would be my choice for ease and cost.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Just stay with the 460,for it would be simple, as opposed to the diesel, and that there weren't any diesels in 78. To put a diesel in that truck would take a lot of work to do it, I had seen a 75 F250 4 x 4 with a 555 V8 Cummins stuffed in it and I mean STUFFED in for there were a lot of mods made to that truck, smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
7.3 is about the same physical dimensions as a 460. And he's got a complete donor, aside from fabrication, should be cake...

Besides if it were easy, everybody would do it...

Have done some research over the past year and have seen this and a couple others and they are all different in how they were done, I hate how they hack the gauge clusters they don't look good in my opinion.

Just a little update, got the whole front clip removed and the 460 out and no. 1 cylinder the piston looks like a wood pecker went to town on it and one of the valves face is totally missing. took the front windshield out and low and behold there were a bunch of rust holes where the seal and cab meet so I started cutting it out and getting ready to replace it. Wish the rust had been in a better place but what the heck.

Just a little up date, got the dash pulled out and am working on getting everything else gutted and hopefully it will be at the sand blaster here in a couple of weeks. Going to go and pickup the short box I bought and get it ready for blasting as well. I was checking out the newest issue of fourwheeler magazine and they did a piece on a 1979 ford crew cab that the guy put on an 04 super duty chassis with the 6.0 diesel in it, looks sweet. So after that article I said what the hell and have decided to go with the 7.3 powerstroke I have and am going to use an 89 f350 4x4 chassis due to it being able to handle the powerstroke. My only hang up is the dash and instrument cluster, I want it to look clean like it is meant to be there and not hacked up. I have some ideas but we will see.

So the bare cab and bed are at the sand blaster and I was lucky enough to pick up a 1999 rolled crew cab that has the limited interior in it, front bucket seats and center console and rear bench, with power fronts and heated seats and power windows that I hope to be able to use. I will get some pictures soon, I did start body work on the front fenders and core support and am hoping to have the hood and doors sandblasted eith in a couple of weeks.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds like a nice find for doing your swap.

Well, just ordered the front door anti-rattle kits from Dennis Carpenter, figure I will order something every pay day for the next couple of months.

I know I need to get some pictures up, will work on that tomorrow, I got the 99 cab to the house and started gutting it, also got the front fenders and core support sand blasted as well as getting the rear doors gutted and ready for sand blasting. The 7.3 PS and transmission have been removed from the F450 and just waiting for me to get it to my shop and off the trailer and on a side note my anti-rattle door kit showed up, now to figure out what to purchase next.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts