Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1976 F-250 Rear Brakes and hubs

I'm new to this so bear with me....I'm in the long slow drawn out process of doing up my rear brakes. Sadly the drum , so I am told by the good folks at NAPA is sold seperate from the hub and they don't have the hub. However, the two times I have had the rears off and looked them over and had the drums turned ( with the hubs still on ) I am now in a position to where I NEED to buy new drums. And again the folks at NAPA tell me that they do seperate from the hub. I find this not so true? As in the past I have noted that the drums DO NOT seperate from the hubs and thus its a bit of a bearcat . So the question is ...: Where on Gods green earth do I locate new drums WITH hubs or do they in fact seperate form the hub with the use of a press? I've been in and out of this rig for the past 10 plus years and not once have I ever seen anything in print or applied practice that actually tells you how to seperate the two. and I do own just about every manual that covers this year make and model of truck and its never mentioned at all and is in fact always referring to seperating the two....
I'm preparing this truck for long distance hauls ( again) and any help or advice as to how to handle this situation would be not only just appreicated?....but it sure would allow my mind to be at ease when it comes time to slwo things down coming off of mountian passes hauling a 38 foot long fifth wheel with all my worldly goods in it.
Kindly assist me please....:wavey:

Is this a waste of time to post here or is anyone going to ever answer this?

If its a waste of time I'll flail along on my own.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Sorry, dude. Ever hear of lightning and dial-up? Whenever its stormy outside, you unplug everything, or you'll lose it. Now, for your problem. More information could be very handy for any advice. There are a couple of different rear ends that take different brakes. Some, the drum is easily removed, some have to have all the studs driven out before the hub can be removed. And yes, some are non removable.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts