Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1973 f100 (camper special)

No F100/150/250 came from the factory on the 140" wheelbase.

F350's on the 140" wheelbase: 1973/76 Super Camper Special / 1973/79 Regular Cab Trailer Special / 1977/79 F350 Regular Cab Camper Special.

Ford dropped "Super" after 1976.

The Styleside bed is unique with the 140" wheelbase, as the rear axle is set back further.

Camper Specials came with a pigtailed wire harness/plug used with camper clearance lights. It plugged into the Camper Special only tail light harness that had an extra feed wire for this purpose.

When not in use, this harness was placed inside the glove box.

Well, if it has been swapped, someone has done a awesome job. Because the spring perches haven't been relocated that I can tell. Looks like the original rivets in them. I'm still leaning toward a special order of some kind. I'm still digging for the answer, and I'll get to the bottom of it sooner or later !
Oh , sorry op, I sure didn't mean to highjack your thread.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Well, if it has been swapped, someone has done a awesome job. Because the spring perches haven't been relocated that I can tell. Looks like the original rivets in them. I'm still leaning toward a special order of some kind. I'm still digging for the answer, and I'll get to the bottom of it sooner or later !
Oh , sorry op, I sure didn't mean to highjack your thread.
It was not a special order, it's a Frankenstein Monster with parts swapped from gawd only knows what.

You can get a copy of your trucks original build sheet from martiauto.com by passing along your VIN and 45 bucks.

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
I agree with Bill that someone just swapped a 140" wheelbase box onto your f100...I can't tell from the pics, but it looks like the box is extra close to the cab, and it looks like the rear wheel is toward the front of the wheelwell opening.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hopefully pics of my '73 F-100

Warranty Number: F10YKS21104 / W.B. 133 / COLOR: BM / MODEL: F105 / BODY: B4 / TRANS: G / AXLE: 08J / MAX GVW LBS: 5500 / DSO: 76
Compare the Warranty Number (VIN) on the Warranty Plate to the VIN on the registration to see if they match.

People replaced damaged left doors with used doors. 99.9% of the time, they failed to install the original Warranty Plates on the replaced doors.

F10 = F100 2WD

Y = 360 2V

K = Kansas City MO Assembly Plant.

S21104 = 1973.

133" Wheelbase.

BM: B = Light Blue / M = White.

F105 = F100 2WD, 5,500 lbs. GVWR

B4: B = Medium Blue Vinyl & Medium Blue Cloth / 6 = Ranger Cab with Styleside Pickup Box.

G = C6 A/T

08J: 08 = Ford 9" Rear Axle / 3.50-1 / No Limited Slip / 3,300 lbs. Rear Axle Capacity / J = Power Steering.

5,500 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

76 = Denver CO Ford District Sales Office, where the original selling dealer ordered the truck from.

Last edited:
This is a guess on the SCS F100,,,,,,,
Its a supercab frame,(139" WB) with a regular cab and a super camper special bed.(140" WB). The door or whole cab from a standard F100.
This would explain the rear axle looking like its slightly forward. I'm just not sure about the front suspension. Didn't all SC have leaf spring front suspension ?
So to highwayman, look for cab body mounts not lining up or moved, and get the VIN off the top of the frame near the starter.
This has got my curiosity up.:)

Bill, did Ford always use special order numbers in the vin, like back in 1973 ?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Super Cabs were introduced in 1974.

No F100/250 2WD had leaf spring front suspension after 1964, last year for F350 (all 2WD thru 1978) with leaf spring front suspension was 1966.

If a Domestic Special Order, the DSO code stamped on the 3rd line...far right of the Warranty Plate has 6 numbers.

The first two numbers decode to the District Sales Office the truck was ordered from (see decode in post 25).

The last 4 numbers are for the Domestic Special Order invoice.

This truck is a Frankenstein Monster...someone swapped the F350's 140" wheelbase Styleside bed to it.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts