Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

100 octane ?

A buddy of mine said I should put racing fuel in my dent since it sits so long. Its about out of gas right now from me starting once a month,,,,,,,or 2. I suppose the high octane gas doesn't have the ethanol in it. What do yall think ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No....use regular gas with stabilizer added.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
It's threads like this....(and the joke threads too) that is the reason I belong to this community!

I love my dents, but I'm also a fanatic about car maintenance so my cars will always take care of me and my family.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Around here you can get ethanol free 92 octane. I bet that's where that rumor started.

Ryan

For years I spoiled my truck on its birthday by dropping by my local small airport and buying some aircraft gas (110 octane) so my 70,429 CJ felt like it was alive again.

Depending what kind it is, Most likely ethanol free(least the Renegade i run is) But if your engine doesn't have enough compression an what not the higher octane will actually be worse for it, I normally try to run a mixture of 93/110 renegade race fuel in my 429. Only because that i have found it runs better with that mixture than on straight 93 or straight 110.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just an FYI...toluene is the cheapest easiest way to raise octane....but remember, high octane burns slower and unless you have the CR to support using it...chances are you will get less power than running regular...or whatever the engine needs.

Over here racing fuel which is sold at the petrol stations is actually avgas 100LL that has been swapped out of the aerodrome pump tanks - if the fuel sits for more than three months at the airport they replace it with new fuel so that they can guarantee it's quality to aircraft users - not sure if it's the same where you are but avgas out here is still leaded.

NOCO77

Somethin' Like That
100LL is also at our airports. It's referred to as low lead because it has a lower concentration of lead than the higher octane avgas. This will prevent the plugs from premature lead fowling, especially the lower plugs on the opposed cylinder arrangement. Some aircraft are not certified for the use of low lead fuel due to their higher performance capabilities.

Boring, huh?

That being said, the reference to low lead can be a bit misleading to automobile owners. The fuel actually has quite a bit more lead than the old leaded fuels of the auto industry - thats part of how it has a higher octane. On auto engines designed for unleaded fuels, this can lead to quicker buildup of lead and other unwanted contaminants in the combustion area, including lead-fowled spark plugs. If the engine is properly built/modified for these conditions, then it will work great - if not, stay away from the temptation.

Brad, old man A&P, I.A.

^Interesting info right there. Thanks

edit: So the lead that we used to burn in our vehicles that the gov said was poisoning the air that we breath , is still being used
in aircraft that are flying over our heads and the exhaust is settling down around us ?

Last edited:
Jets use a fuel much like Kerosene..not avgas.
Avgas is for small piston èngines like prop jobs,afaik

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I have been running 93 octane ethanol free high test in my 78 F-150 with a 351M and it seems quite peppy and lively, the truck seems to love it, but I run it mainly because my truck sits a lot , a friend from work had told me about a local station here in Ithaca, NY, and I have running it in my truck ever since, and that friend was right about it being better for my truck. Most of the Fastrac stations have it, that is where I have been buying mine for my truck. Hopefully this is helpful to everyone.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Putting higher than needed octane in your tank is a waste of money and can actually hinder performance due to less energy available and slower burn...you need the engine to support it.

Putting higher than needed octane in your tank is a waste of money and can actually hinder performance due to less energy available and slower burn...you need the engine to support it.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid This is one of the reasons i want to run my truck on lpg/propane - once my engine gets to the rebuild stage i want build it up with a higher compression ratio to take advantage of lpg's 99ron rating .... the trick is getting it to a balance between petrol and gas.
This is the system i'm drooling over at the moment http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Cyl-300-H...line-Fuel-Injected-Vehicles-Gas-/350624847081 as i can keep the efi system intact and get better efficiency not to mention easier starting on gas - pricewise we are paying $2.28 per litre for 95ron petrol and $1.40 per litre for lpg ..... even though there will be a small efficiency loss using lpg (hopefully minimised by increasing c.r) i'll still be better off.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts