Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1 inch body lift help

Hi I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what all needs to be done for a 1 inch body lift on my 1977 ford ranger 4wd reg cab. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im using hockey pucks as my spacers im hoping to be able to tackle the lift tomorrow. Thanks!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh man oh man...hockey pucks??? You couldn't find any square stock or something??? You'll probably need longer hardware. Outside of that no experience with bl's...nothing should need any extending for just an inch.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Agreeing with Ben, hockey pucks?! I've seen them used but geez!! go and buy some 3" pipe and use that, will not break down. Going only an 1", you will not have to worry about any linkage or wires or gas tank hose, etc. You will need longer hardware like Ben said. That's a very small lift.

I knew I was gonna catch hell for this!! Hahah Im using hockey pucks cause i got them pre drilled and 30 of them for free. I just want that extra inch. I also have a 4 inch suspension lift coming monday so i guess im just trying to accomplish being one step higher!

You got it! I guess I shoulda mentioned the suspension lift at first! But body lift this weekend suspension lift next weekend! Will definetly post some pictures!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm guessing that there aren't a whole lot of hockey players here :D
Pucks are amazingly strong and resilient...I'm not advocating using them but I will bet they will last for years without breaking down.

I can see theres mixed feelings. It must e a pennsylvania type thing to do. i know numerous people that have lifeted there vehicles with hockey pucks. Ive actually helped install one on a 4 door chevy mid size truck. I just wasnt sure if there was anything that would be stretched with the lift. Hockey pucks and store bought body lifts are pretty much the same material next time your at a sportings good store check it out!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I can see theres mixed feelings. It must e a pennsylvania type thing to do. i know numerous people that have lifeted there vehicles with hockey pucks. Ive actually helped install one on a 4 door chevy mid size truck. I just wasnt sure if there was anything that would be stretched with the lift. Hockey pucks and store bought body lifts are pretty much the same material next time your at a sportings good store check it out!

Honestly, with as cheap as BL's are these days, I had no idea people were still using hockey pucks. I kinda always hoped it was one of those mythical things that one guy did 30 years ago, and the internet folklore was still talking about it today.

But to answer your question...pretty the only thing you'll need is new hardware.

Ok well thank you the helps appreciated! Some more info on me. Im a 17 year old kid with a gas guzzler as a daily drive(I love it) and I just spent alot of money on the suspension lift and got all the hockey pucks pre drilled for free thats the only reason Im going this route.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have seen several puck lifts over the years. They flatten and crack over time. If I was going to keep the truck a few years I would buy real spacers due to all the work involved in doing a body lift.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Just understand you will be changing the driving characteristics of the vehicle with said lift along with vehicle center of gravity..Roll over risk will increase...Just some freindly advice....I love my 9" of lift..but im not 17 anymore either....Be safe out there...

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts