Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

03 Explorer - Heater question

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
My heater started making a ticking noise (kinda sounds like you have your flashers on). The heater no longer works. Could it be the heater core? If so, How hard/expensive is the fix?

Trying to debate trading it in for a new one or fixing the current issue and trying to get some more miles out of it. BTW, it has almost 116,000 miles on it and accumulates approximately 100 per day (give or take a few).

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Feel around under the dash for where the noise is coming from. It'll be a 3" square, white actuator. It'll be held on by 2 or 3 screws. Theres a little gear in there that will strip out. Just purchase the entire actuator, and your problem will be solved.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
Feel around under the dash for where the noise is coming from. It'll be a 3" square, white actuator. It'll be held on by 2 or 3 screws. Theres a little gear in there that will strip out. Just purchase the entire actuator, and your problem will be solved.

Thanks Vince! smilieFordlogo

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.

Pretty sure that is the problem. got my hand in there and it felt like it was making the noise.

Any easy way to get this out? I had the center console and trim piece from under the steering wheel out and still couldn't get at it very good.

Dang thing quit making the noise when I had all that out too but as soon as I got it all back together it started up again. :headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Pretty sure that is the problem. got my hand in there and it felt like it was making the noise.

Any easy way to get this out? I had the center console and trim piece from under the steering wheel out and still couldn't get at it very good.

Dang thing quit making the noise when I had all that out too but as soon as I got it all back together it started up again. :headbang:
If its the one Im thinking about, Aint no easy way. Its just small socket, wobble joint, lots of extensions, band aids, and prayer. When you get the screws out, it will slide away from the "box" about an inch and a half, then you can remove it. Theres a "peg" that goes into the hole and mates with the mode door. The noise is the gear inside that turns the "peg" is stripped.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I was afraid you would say that. It didn't look easy. Any idea on price for the part?

May be a stupid question but why does it still make the noise when the ac/heat are off?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts