Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'02 7.3 starts fine, dies as soon as...

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
02 7.3 starts ok then dies as soon as the accelerator is pressed (manual transmission). starts right back up. if you let it idle for 5-10 minutes, then it will run normally. Started smoking black smoke while accelerating recently also. No tuner currently installed

No CEL, air and fuel filters ok. CPS was replaced during recall. Any ideas where to start? Truck is 400 miles away on the farm, will be heading there for July 4th.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would have it scanned for codes even though there is no CEL on. Check the IPR on the back of the high pressure oil pump make sure it's tight and the electrical connector is connected. Also check the ICP sensor which is screwed into the driver side cylinder head remove the electrical connector make sure it's not full of oil.

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
I found a new International ICP on Ebay for $60.00 (local parts house wanted over $350.00!!) so I went ahead and replaced it. Connector did have oil in it. Problem hasn't returned (so far!)

Thanks for the assistance.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I found a new International ICP on Ebay for $60.00 (local parts house wanted over $350.00!!) so I went ahead and replaced it. Connector did have oil in it. Problem hasn't returned (so far!)

Thanks for the assistance.

Glad to hear it.!YelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts