Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HiPoParts Garage LED gauge kit

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I installed my cluster kit and may I say it kicks the booty.

it was a fun project to do too.
I thought I would post some of the steps of doing this kit its pretty plug and play but I thought it might be good for those who may be new to working on their trucks.

The only tools you need is 3 sockets 8mm 11/32 1/4 and a small flat head driver and some white vinegar and a old can or jar.
for any one who is restoring or fixing up their truck Van car I would highly recommend this kit.
For the price of 19 bucks and the results you get nothing I know of can match it.
Warning!These old gauge housings are made of plastic and with time can become very very brittle! so be very careful when installing this kit and pulling and replacing the cluster i've had some of these clusters turn to powder in my hands.

First your going to take off the cluster face this consist of 4, 1/4 bolts
PB280008.jpg

Take a good look at the inside of the housing make sure it is clean and free of dust and dirt for best results you going to want to make sure the plastic is as clean and shiny as you can get it you want it to look like this
PB280014.jpg

If yours is not very reflective and you want to take out the gauges and clean the housing with warm water and you could also pick up some white KRYLON Fusion Spray Paint for Plastic and give it a few coats.

For this you're going to need the 11/32 and 8mm socket, every gauge has two studs and copper washers/nuts on the back of the housing all of these you should be able to take out by hand DO NOT FORCE ANY THING OR YOU WILL BREAK IT also there is a regulator that has one 8mm screw that you will need to take out.
PB280009.jpg

The Volt gauge will have a cover on the studs this should pop right off with very little force and the help of a small flat head driver.
PB280010.jpg

Then on to the bulb sockets these just twist out counter clock wise.
Take out all 6 sockets and pull out the little bulbs and now your going to need to clean them after 30 years of use they are going to get dirty this is were the white vinegar comes in put them all in a can and pour some vinegar in with them and give them a good long shake after a while get them out and you will see how much crud has come out of the little guys
PB280030.jpg

After doing so they will be good as new
PB280028.jpg

So blow them out with some compressed air and put the new LED bulbs in and that's it all done so now lets look at the printed circuit on the back of the cluster housing.
PB280020.jpg

As you can see mine has allot of corrosion on the contacts this can be easily cleaned with a Dremel and the stainless steel brush attachment set to a high RPM and give the contacts a fast pass over using light pressure can clean all the corrosion right off
PB280024.jpg

but be careful this is very thin and you can tear right through it.
If you got the gauge paint that is very easy clean the pointers with Alcohol then use a small brush you can paint them right up.
PB280031.jpg

After every thing is done put the gauges printed circuit and bulb sockets in to the cluster but don't put the face back on this helps to do a test.
Take the cluster out to your truck and plug the cluster in and make sure all your lights work if so then slap every thing back together and install and your done and now you have a cool brand new looking gauge cluster..
PB290039.jpg

Not too shabby for only 20 bucks :D and they come in a bunch of colors too.
http://www.hipoparts.com/index.php?cPath=74_76_79

Psquare75

Creamsicle Driver
Does that come with bulbs for warning lights and turn signals as well? The blue shown there is what our trucks were supposed to have OEM? (before they all faded to a teal?)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Yes the kit comes with 8 all new LED bulbs.
You can get the kit if different color I liked the blue one they also have led bulbs with will swap out with all the lights on the the truck marker lights turn signals reverse all of them they even have led cab lights.
http://www.hipoparts.com/index.php?cPath=74_69&sort=4a&page=1

Nomad, I need you to e-mail as I have a request from Hipo parts.

Bill (Hipo Parts guy) have been conversing for Months about this kit.
and Bill is impressed with what you did and wants to reward you for it.

Please e-mail me.

I have a problem with only one thing here and that is the way you are cleaning the copper contacts.

I use an pencil eraser to remove the corrosion to avoid damaging the copper.

D

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I have a problem with only one thing here and that is the way you are cleaning the copper contacts.
I use an pencil eraser to remove the corrosion to avoid damaging the copper.
D

Pencil eraser now thats a good idea :)
I'm going to do the whole truck led upgrade flashers cab light every thing i'll post that when I get it done.

Last edited:
i also installed the chrome trim and a white gauge kit with red leds looks very nice and bright at night my 78 also is pretty much all leds side marker front and rear tail lights ect as i drive truck our shop has the 2x6 oval led lights i cut the backs out of my light houseings installed the leds [they fit perfect]siliconed around to seal rewired with sealed plugs walla never to have trouble with again

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
i also installed the chrome trim and a white gauge kit with red leds looks very nice and bright at night my 78 also is pretty much all leds side marker front and rear tail lights ect as i drive truck our shop has the 2x6 oval led lights i cut the backs out of my light houseings installed the leds [they fit perfect]siliconed around to seal rewired with sealed plugs walla never to have trouble with again

Can you show show some pics I would love to see what you did?
Also what chrome trim are you talking about?

The chrome trim would be the chrome trim on the bezel.
They make a chrome strip for that now so we don't need that silver ink pen anymore :)

Psquare75

Creamsicle Driver
Actually I thought he was referring to those gauge inserts.. I only used the OUTER piece on my cluster, but it comes with inner covers.

Look at the rings around my gauges.

100_2330.jpg

texas i have a pic of the dash in my gallery white stick on overlays for fuel/oil/water/amp
gauges the speedo [1] has to be spray painted white[2] the numbers/lines are painted black useing a fine tip felt marker very easy as these are raised just dont have to many brewskies before hand as a steady hand is a must lol
the polished stainless trim goes around the gauges have a look and i will try to get a better pic next time i have the tail lights out will get a pic planning to do the supercab also the leds are very bright and when rewired right no more trouble

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
texas i have a pic of the dash in my gallery white stick on overlays for fuel/oil/water/amp
gauges the speedo [1] has to be spray painted white[2] the numbers/lines are painted black useing a fine tip felt marker very easy as these are raised just dont have to many brewskies before hand as a steady hand is a must lol
the polished stainless trim goes around the gauges have a look and i will try to get a better pic next time i have the tail lights out will get a pic planning to do the supercab also the leds are very bright and when rewired right no more trouble

Looks good man real good, real! good.
You should check out the update I did on this.
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8144
Hi po came out with a new type of LED bulb that blows the old ones out of the water Big time.

texas that is a very very good writeup! very easy for someone to follow and see what to do! an asset to ftf for sure!! i have seen a "custom" gauge cluster on eveil bay with anolog gauges in a polished plate but when i contacted the seller for an "installed pic" he never responded as it seemed the mounting holes didnt line up with any thing on the dash that i could see if i didnt already spend the money on dennis carpenter reproduction bezeles i would consider plastic chroming the whole thing as i got my dash vents redone from a place in vancouver bc they do very nice work but not cheap

texas did you put a led for your high beam indicater on the speedo also or reg bulb? i took mine out all together and wired up a light on my over head console hooked directly to the high beam floor switch there is nothing sooo rude as to have that dam little light shineing brightly in your eyes at night on the highway

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Great write up brother!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
texas did you put a led for your high beam indicater on the speedo also or reg bulb? i took mine out all together and wired up a light on my over head console hooked directly to the high beam floor switch there is nothing sooo rude as to have that dam little light shineing brightly in your eyes at night on the highway

Yes I did use a LED for my high beam all the gauge lights have been replaced with the ned leds you can see the difference in how bright the leds are if you look at the pics in the update write up I did ..

PC080034.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts