Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which do you prefer to drive...

Which do you prefer to drive...

• Front wheel drive vehicle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Simple question, do you prefer driving a rwd, fwd or awd vehicle. Personally, I prefer the driving characteristics of a rear wheel drive vehicle.

Same here I like rear wheel drive also. front wheels are better in snow like said above. I just like the feel of rear wheel drive and who wants to burn tires on the front end? lol jk.

too bad very very few rwd cars are still made.

4wd for me. Rear wheel majority of the time, but 4wd at the shift of the lever.

The wifes Expedition is the first awd vehicle I've ever owned and it does a great job in the snow.

* * HTC Incredible / Forum Runner * *

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
RWD and then 4WD in adverse conditions

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
And...I assume by AWD, you are referring to the new definition of that?
M-H, which has been doing conversions for 80+ years calls my 750 an AWD and trust me, there is no pansy *** torque splitting transfer case involved at all.
When both diffs are locked, it is indeed AWD :D

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Hello everybody:) I agree with Smokey. 4wd is an extra safety device when roads are slippery. Here in the countryside tractors going along the roads all day , and often muddy tires. In the winter it's very hard to drive a truck without extra FWD

best regards Ton

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And...I assume by AWD, you are referring to the new definition of that?

Yessir...when I think AWD...I think Subaru or the like...not a manual tcase.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Love RWD. Does a FWD car pull the front tires off the ground?........... Nope. Love my 4WD when wheeling and plowing through snow. FWD is good in the snow though. I do not care to work on FWD vehicles though, no thank you.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So.... BTO had an awesome song in the 70's. It wasn't FWD :( :( NO NO NO
It was FOUR WHEEL DRIVE baby, yea !!! :) :)

That is a great tune!!!

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
RWD is more fun as a daily driver. But FWD is way better in the snow.

AWD, I have only driven once and was impressed with the handling. But no fun...

4wd rarely gets used anyway...

reverse donuts are pretty cool in a front wheel drive though - if you really want to test your driving skills try going across a wet paddock in a frontwd car with the handbrake on ..... bloody near impossible to keep in a straight line

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
Muscle cars - RWD

Trucks - 4WD been in too many situations where i needed it and didn't have it, now both my trucks are 4WD

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Depends on the car. A Corvette is not AWD because engineering isn't sold on the idea that the additional weight and complexity offsets the slight traction advantages. Name a F1 race car that's AWD. Porsche offers a variety of AWD models, but races with RWD versions (unless it's a Rally car, which is a completely different animal).

On a larger Sedan, if it's over 300HP, give me Rear or AWD. Simple reason, FWD causes some really odd torque-steering when the HP goes much over 300. Anyone that's driven a late-model Northstar Caddy knows what I'm talking about. On a right turn, stomping on the gas pedal will result in the steering wheel jumping out of your hand unless you're hanging on tight. Name one highline luxury car that's FWD. Answer is Audi, and their high-end models are all AWD, running a 90% bias to the rear wheels most of the time.

For mid-size and compacts- I'll take FWD. The benefits (room mostly) far outweigh the disadvantages, IMO. If I'm in the snow a lot, AWD rules. Subaru's been proving that for four decades- they're the ski-bus of choice in these parts.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
RWD for most applications, esp Mustangs and trucks.

My wife loves the AWD in her Fusion and I can't fault it for all road conditions in a sedan.

4WD is for getting myself unstuck when RWD fails to get me back out of the woods - or those times when the roads are snowpacked.

They make chains for ice and I use mine on the truck about 5 times every winter. Siping is good; studs are for people who don't want, can't, or know how to put on chains.

I don't care for handling in FWD cars - only advantage they have is the weight over the drive wheels. My first exposure to it was an '80 Plymouth Horizon that I bought new... and a few others since then.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts