Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351w blocks?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So what do you all know about the interchangeability of 351w blocks across different model years?

I've been toying with getting my engine build started for my old truck. I found a 1988 351w block on craigslist for $20.

Tell me what you know......

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
just decided i'd look real quick..

jesus.. there aint nothing in my area for 351W blocks or even completes unless that person's wanting 700-1500 bucks...

even found a guy wanting 1750 for one thats not even together... and it looks to be a early-mid 80's... no roller cam dog bone.. painted blue.. looks kinda like a mechanical fuel pump coming out of the side of the front of the block...

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/2724621710.html

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm tempted to just use the block I have. I thought it would be cool to not have any down time, but maybe it's just smarter. I don't drive the truck anyway - it's tags are even expired.

The thing is, I don't have any way to actually remove it myself and I don't have an engine stand. Really I'm just kicking the idea around.

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i have this engine stand....

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32916.html

engine hoist is plenty.. and there are coupons out there for it for $99 bucks....

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html

I think I'd have better repute with the wife if I didn't have all the clutter laying around.

Ryan

i have no room to talk i had a engine in the kitchen.. and if the block isnt usable.. then you can scrap it.. i got 10 bucks for scrapping that bare block i had.. nothing else..

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm not going to buy something I'm not going to use. As it is, I'll have to pull the truck out of the garage if I want to build the engine. Our house is already so cluttered and full from 2 people moving all thier stuff in. I don't have room for extra crap.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member

My main complaint with the indicated stand is the way they put the front half into the tube it allows for movement, the whole stand then moves, not a comforting feeling. Had one like it, might still have it, but I got ticked with it and welded it solid, but a more reasonable choice if wanting to be able to disassemble it for storage would be to drill horizontally and add a bolt to it. The one that Goose put up is a better one, but I have gotten to where I prefer a cross bar on the front instead of tripod like that due to the tipping tendency of the tripods, but they are useable.

On the block to use, it depends on the intended use. Rollers are nice, but unless you are going for the all out horsepower, then they are an additional cost that isn't absolutely necessary. They do cut down on the drag, which is their purpose, but are not required to get a good, reliable engine. AFAIK, other than that one aspect, I believe most everything trades across the years. Have to with the heads on old stuff(60's, early 70') in comparison to newer units will have some changes.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I think I'll stick with a roller setup. It doesn't seem right to take a step backward on that piece of technology since it's a 1994. It's the same reason I won't be carb'ing it. That's good information though.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
Didn't pay attention to the year you have... Since you have it, it is good to keep it. I was more referring to going out and searching for it based on that aspect alone. It depends on the size of the garage you have, and the tolerance of the neighbors for what your options are. If it is something that you can do over time, you might be as far ahead to just rebuild what you have vs. buying something totally different. Since it isn't something you need back up real fast as far as use goes, you might just pull the motor and work on that as you can. The motor on a stand takes up about the same space as a small riding lawnmower. It might be such you can stick it in the back corner when you aren't working on it, then roll it out when you do. Once you have it out on the stand, you should be able to tear it down on a good long day, or over a weekend for certain. Have a shelving unit available to put all the pieces on as you take it apart so it will take less space. You also can rent the engine hoist most of the time, I know the rental places around here have them. If it wasn't such a road trip, I would let you use mine. I doubt you want to drive 4 hours one way to borrow a hoist... I also recommend using the catch pan under the engine stand, if you want to keep your garage looking nice. They are way handy when you get the ones that are molded to fit an engine stand. The block will drip for months... My shop is an old cement building that used to be a hog house decades ago, so it isn't as much of an issue for me, but I know if I had a better place to work, I would be more careful.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Thanks for all that information. The wife complains about the drips that the truck donates to the floor as it is, I think catch pans would be absolutely necessary.

What does a guy pay for an engine hoist?

If I did all that, I would probably need to roll the truck out onto the driveway and leave that half of the garage open for working on the engine. It's not ideal to leave it out in the elements, but it's an option. There's not enough room in there for the truck & an engine project.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
Typically a hoist goes for $200 or so. I recommend the fold up units for better storage ability.

There are mats you can get to catch the regular drips, just place them in the general location and park over them. You could use pet training pads as well.

Sounds kind of like no matter if you get an engine to swap or do the one you have, the one side of the garage will be tied up for the time being. You would need the hoist to be able to unload the project motor and put it on the stand, as well as getting it out of the truck itself. I have been known to use the rafters, but it really isn't the best plan. I have broken a couple as well...

Ford Truck Articles